Call Ducks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MS9325, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    I Was wondering if you guys can give me some info on raising call ducks? Are call ducks pretty noisy, can they live quitely in a suburban area, and do they make great pets?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have call ducks. The females are VERY noisy. The males not too bad. If you don't want to breed them and only have a couple for their cuteness you could always just have a couple of males. They make good pets as long as you're not expecting a pet like a cat or dog. I know there are people who hold their ducks, but ducks as a rule don't enjoy being held. Mine are tame and come running, but they don't like to be cuddled or petted.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Katy is right....call duck hens are LOUD! I would either do as she suggested with the 2 males or try another breed of duck if noise is a problem.

4. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    i have a pair, the female makes a lot of noise if her hubby wanders away. They aren't as noisey as my runners, they actually make a nice pleasant noise when they wander around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by