call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken225, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Chicken225

Chicken225 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    New to raising call duckies!!! So happy I finally got my hands on some call ducks the snowy breed. Any advise on theses little guys?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Congrats!! Yes, they fly - I clipped my calls wings at an early age so they woulnd;t fly away

3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:I have had lots of calls and Never once have had one fly away. They might fly across the yard but never away...

Advice-
    Make sure you give them a good feed during breeding season, I used to feed my Calls and Indies just Lay pellets during breeding season and had terrable fertility and hatching, Then the next year I have them Lay Pellets mixed with a little puppy chow, and lots of greens with the same breeder birds and had MUCH better luck.. Im thinking it was the feed because I didnt change anything else...

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    if you buy a grown pair i would clip wings . they will fly away if they arent use to their new home. i bought a pair and one flew away the first day when i brought them home. i only had it home for about 10 mins it escaped out of the box. it flew 100 yards away into woods never to be seen again. i even left the female in cage out so she wouls call him back but it didnt work.

duckling you raise and hatch are different. i wouldnt clip their wings.

5. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I just would throw my new calls in my yard and never had one fly away, however last week for the first time ever I was able to see one of my calls fly about 20 feet, quite poorly.

To be safe I would clip or keep caged, I have started keeping them caged, I would hate to see one of mine fly away.

6. ashleym

ashleym Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    oregon
    any one know of a reputable breeder i could get call duck -ducklings or eggs from???[​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

Theres quite a few breeders on here with good birds. CelticOaksFarm may have some adults, or eggs for sale. She has really nice ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by