Call ducks

farmerRyan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Central Maine
In a few weeks I am getting a couple of grey call ducks. This is our first time ever having ducks. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on ducks. Thanks.

Ryan

Ducks are going to be quite messy but besides that they can be a lot of fun to have around. Are they going to have their own pen or are you going to mix them with your chickens?

They will be laying this spring for there first time. They will be about full grown. We do have a couple of New Hampshire reds and barred rocks. Will that be okay? They will be free ranging. We have a huge yard for them. I was wondering about what they eat? Can they eat chicken food? Also can they have crack corn? Thanks

Okay i have some that age. Are you aware of their flight ability? they fly like you wouldn't believe, both sexes. They are also very pred prone, so i would raise concern with free ranging, mine are penned.

The chickens if not overly aggressive should be okay but again i would watch, especially again due to the size of the calls. Mine have no contact directly with the other birds here. As for feed, yes chicken is fine, mine are on a grower/finisher that is 16% protein and i mix whole oats in, they also get a bit of scratch to forage for and sunflower seeds(BOSS, so black oil) Cracked corn is okay, but they cannot eat whole, my bigger birds get some whole corn, the calls simply cannot eat it, at least mine cannot, they are quite small.

Here is my grey drake, this was a bit ago, his head is now fully green. I also have a young grey female but she's only 6wks or so. His mate that is his aging is a blue fawn, i also have a 2mth old appleyard, so i have a quad, 1 drake, 3 ducks.

Back
Top Bottom