Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Oct 1, 2008.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I found a breeder within a reasonable drive of me...
    I'm new to them, seen them at the fair and had to have them! Do they look good? I was thinking of getting a trio of Snowys...
    http://www.windchyme.com/Images/Chickens/Chickens.htm
    Thanks for your expert opinions!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Their heads should be rounder, and their beaks should be shorter. Are you looking to have them as pets or for show?

3. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I would like to breed/show...they are so hard to find...i was hoping i could find some good looking ones out of the youngsters she had.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    He does only state them as medium quality and not good or high like his grey call ducks.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree their heads should be rounder and the bills shorter.
    I don't show mine...they're just for my enjoyment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Very nice calls!

7. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Do any of you have any for sale that you would ship to N. Nevada? Maybe nicer one's...more breed correct...

Katy- Those one's you pictured have nice heads! [​IMG] I'm jealous...

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I really would not reccomend them for showing. Dont mean to offend anyone but the snowys are very poor quality and the grays are not show quality either. I would keep looking.

9. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Snowys are hard to find and are not as typey as the whites and the greys. If you want to breed for showing I would suggest researching the bloodlines and getting some from a well known breeder. I am guessing you live in CA? there are 2 breeders I know of in your state that raise snowys.
    Jim Adkins Sonora, CA [email protected]
    Tom Grey SanJose, CA 408-294-0898
    you could try shipping but a lot of people are sold out already. I would suggest buying a pair of breeder quality that come from show bloodlines and raise a lot of ducklings this spring. You might end up with a couple that you can show fall 2009. You could go to a local show and buy one right out of the show cage but expect to pay $100-$200 for one bird.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  10. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I am trying to get some shipped from Wapsi but he doesn't have many left...and i think only whites.
    I'll see if the folks you listed do!
    I live in Reno area and there is nothing good around here...even the big Roseville poultry show ( 2hrs away) doesn't seem to exist anymore [​IMG]
    If i wait until spring, has anyone bought some from Meyer's? doubt they'd be show quality but figured i'd ask...

I appreciate all of your input, like i said i've only seen them in person once! I'm just trying to get started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by