calling all Ameraucana, Araucana, and EE experts

Quote:
I disagree. Shaffer is beyond helpful, and kind. He answers every question I throw his way to the best of his knowledge, I have learned a TON from him.

I believe he is just making the point that there is no point to crossing colors unless you are working on creating a new color. If you just want mixed chickens for your backyard that is fine, however if you are working on the breed keeping colors pure is the best route.
big_smile.png

Just a general statement I made.

I also don't understand a lot about the whole standards thing. I'm not a chicken breeder and right now I don't have much interest in doing it. I don't understand how you can breed two different colors of "pure bred" bird and not have a "pure bred" bird as a result just because it doesn't meet the standard. Even though it's been explained I still don't understand. That's why I said breed snobbery. It wasn't directed to a person even though it may have come out that way. My apologies.

I don't see anything wrong with crossing colors for fun, as long as you are not trying to sell them as true Ameraucanas. Nothing wrong with a little variety or eye candy around the chicken yard if you just like having your chickens around are not really a 'breeder'.

But I do agree that it is important to keep the colors true, especially if you plan at all on selling eggs or birds. It's only fair to the people that are putting the time and money into them once they leave you.

That being said..... I plan to have, in the future

pure breeding pairs, pens etc.
Mixed breeds just for fun... I love mutts too!
and.... I plan to establish my own breed someday
wink.png
Still working out what I want to accomplish and how best to go about it.

Yeah, I'm a nut-case....
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
No - not a nut- case. That is what I would like to do also once I get move out to the country...

or talk my mom and dad into chickens on their 25 acres (they have nothing but a dog, a pond and a big field the neighbor bales for hay)

Well maybe we are both nut cases...

Back
Top Bottom