Calling all breeders!

Fancy Feather Poultry

Cooped Up
12 Years
May 30, 2007
Okay, some im going to start breeding, I need to make some pens
and I dont know where to start. So someone give me some ideas.

Breeders, if you have some pictures of your brreder pens can you show me them?.

Last edited by a moderator:
big_smile.png
All I know is you need to keep the breeds separate if you have have more than ONE breed in mind...

First, I'm not a breeder
tongue.png
but I had the priviledge of purchasing my d'Anvers from one, and got a terrific tour. What a sweet lady she was!

Anyway, she had mostly bantams. Most were seperated into pairs, in wire cages. Not sure I would personally go that route, but all of her birds were perky, healthy, and appeared very happy. She told me she rotated free ranging, so everyone had a chance to get out (and she did have a few chickens running free that day, all lap-dog friendly cochins). She also had some pens set up outside, complete with a mini-house and little run, lots of roosts and things to do. Her husband breeds BR (standard) and had his group in a giant box stall in the barn. Super looking birds, btw.

I have a pair I really want to breed, and am thinking I'll put those two in a chicken tractor for it. Haven't exactly decided on their night-time housing though (although in a pinch I could seperate a space in the main house for them).

I've also seen setups where there were rows of individual runs, side by side. All used the same house, but each group was sectioned off (sort of like a row of apartments).

Good luck on your venture! I think it would be fun, but I think I'm too lazy to put in the effort
tongue.png
except for this one particular pair.

Meghan

Last edited:
I have my breeders set up in cages made of luann board cut 1'deep x2'tall x 8' long, all boxed in and rabbit wire on the front held with fencing nails (actually looks nice) and it's functional.

here are our two small breeding pens:

January2008010.jpg

January2008009.jpg

In this picture, they are both sitting above about 4 inches of standing water. We had to do this because we get flash floods quite frequently when it rains. Our whole yard was actually flooding. (We had to strap them down so they wouldn't get moved by the bad winds we were having....) In one we have a pair of Silver Sebrights, and in the other we have a trio of BBRed OEGBs. They both have light ran out to them as well.

I will try and get pics of the inside of the coop area if you would like.

~Kentucky

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom