Calling all Dog Experts and Trainers :-)

When we got Dusti, my husband worked days and I worked nights. It is not the best setup for a husband/wife, but it was great for puppy raising coz someone was ALWAYS home. We put her crate right next to the bed so we could take her out conveniently. She slept that way until she moved up past the 25lb crate (around 4 months I think?) which wouldn't fit through our bedroom doorway without disassembling and by then she was sleeping through the night.

I think the basic rule of thumb is two hours for every month of puppy age.....unless I have it backwards. But anyway, a two month dog should only be asked to hold it 4 hours MAX, and of course at first that might even be too much. That rule held fairly true with Dusti when she was young she would go out before bed, once during the night, and immediately in the morning - assuming an 8 hour night that's every 4 hours. She was an only dog, but she grew up together with 2 kittens - they were all the same age so they did actually play together. I walked her nightly for approx an hour before I left for work - lots of bonding and socializing to do! Plus exercise, so she would sleep while I was gone. With someone constantly home, even if we weren't interacting with her (sleeping) she still felt our presence.

This was Dusti on her first night with us which was her 8 week birthday, she was shy and hid between the stove and counter for most of the first day!
n55007926_31635349_8230.jpg

After I got fired from that job, when I was unemployed so of course I was home alot, but when I started being gone back to work constantly we did get a second dog. Dusti was 3 and Hawk was 4 when we got him, they were both only dogs previously, so they aren't just super-attached like can't-be-apart, but they still don't like going outside without the other one. If you do have to be gone a lot it is nicer if your dog can have a dog companion, but whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to raise two puppies at once!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure where all the black went, she looks so much redder as an adult!
smile.png

4331_575717705491_55007926_33479448_7664263_n.jpg

So here's my plan. I wanted him to be housebroken quickly preferably and keeping him in the house all the time isn't going to help that. I thought about a dog walker but that's $400 a month just to have someone come in once a day when I'm at work. So yeah that's not happening.

So here's what I've done. I fenced off a specific section at the side of my house that's 5'X15' and I laid out a 4'X6' section of plastic dog decking and put in a dog house. There's a tarp placed over that section to keep the rain off him. The sun doesn't really shine on that section because it's between the house and a 7' privacy fence.

My plan is to put him out there when I'm at work until he's house broken and can be trusted inside by himself. I have a crate for him to sleep in at night and if I'm just gone for short times. Obviously he won't be outside as much when it's winter time because he's a short coated dog and I don't want him getting too cold.

Once he's past his 16 weeks then he will go to doggy daycare 3 days a week for socialization and daytime exercise and then when I get home we will be having obedience classes 3 nights a week and every night go for a walk on the trails. He will have obedience before then in puppy classes and walks every night.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan to keep my pup from going insane by himself?

Outside is much better, especially in summer! I'd still get a lot of toys and a good idea for a waterer for that situation is called a "licksit" although I may not be spelling it right. You put it right on your spicket and the dog learns to lick it and water comes out. That way the water bowl cannot be accidentely dumped over in the morning on a hot day and him go without water. I'd make sure you leave a bowl out too especially until he masters using it, but I've seen very young puppies learn to use one. They are inexpensive, too, under ten dollars I think.
But this way he doesn't learn to poop and just stand around in it, that was the problem with your earlier plan. He still might be kinda bored but tiring him out should help and leaving him with toys should help. He can sniff the air, move around, dig holes, lol, etc. He might be a little noisy but all dogs are different. The catahoula I fostered was cool as a cucumber and a very mellow dog. I didn't know him as a pup but he was still under a year. I've also known some catahoula mixes that were really awesome too and also mellow so hopefully your pup will not be too high energy.
I'd make sure he can't dig out and put identification on him in case he does. Good luck with your pup!

Oh he is so cute!

I only one piece of advice I was given a long time ago by a man who trains dogs for a living and I will pass on to you.
Don't give your puppy/dog squeaky toys.
He said it mimacs prey squeals/chicken squeals etc and then the dog is more apt to think it is OK to treat the animal like a squeaky toy.

Last edited:
I have tons of toys already lol. I've been to the feedstore to get supplies for the other critters and everytime I go I buy another toy. LOL I even got him a Kong and treats and he's not even home yet. I'm so ready to have my puppy!

I also bought a big red plastic ball for him and some hooves and ears for him to chew. I got him a hedgehog and a rope toy.

As for his water bowl I have an auto waterer that hangs from the gate so he can't knock it over.

Back
Top Bottom