Calling all Genetic Experts!!! Need help with perfecting my silkies!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GAChknGirl, Sep 21, 2010.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    okay bare with me! im new at this I bought a beautiful colored calico Rooster but his comb is wrong! i want to know what i need to do to breeding wise to fix it so that his off spring will not have this problem! otherwise he is a nice looking silkie i do not plan to show him or his off spring i just want to have neat colored silkies with all the silkie Standard traits!

let me know if this is confusing i will try and reword it!

Thanks

Here is Oscar

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    well, I'm by no means an expert of any sorts... especially not on chicken genetics. Your rooster appears to be a cross... his tail feathers are not silkied and his comb is the wrong color and type. It seems to me that it would be very difficult to breed this out of his progeny and certainly wouldn't happen in one generation. He is very handsome and I guess you need to decide if you are happy with more like him or, if you want to raise pure silkies it would be easier to start with one that isn't a cross.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I agree. There is something more than Silkie going on there. If you want good Silkies, I would not use him.

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    As stated he is not a Silkie, maybe one parent was. Wrong colour & shape comb, split for silver & gold, so colour will not breed true either. I bet he does not have black skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by