Calling all goat keepers!!! My goat is sick

Oh and her slightly swollen cheek was actually just her hair puffing up :oops: so it was nothing to worry about. The thing that worries me is that she is shivering?????

Weakness and cold are usually signs of anemia. The usual cause of anemia are parasites, either internal or external or both. If she were my goat I would have a fecal run to assess worm load, if any. The second thing is to make sure any lice or ticks are gone. I don't know what else to tell you.

The nutri drench won't hurt but it won't solve the problem. Go ahead and give it. She needs all the support she can get.

The thing that worries me is that she is shivering?????

Is the weather unusually cold or windy or wet? If you have other goats, do they look or act cold? If the shivering is just caused by weather, it might not be a clue to what else is wrong.

But if she seems cold when others do not, I don't know what to suggest.

Hi so she is looking much better except for her bloat..... What can I give her besides gas x. I can't really go to the store right now. I have baking soda and mineral oil and olive oil. Is there something I can mix of these that will help her?

How bloated is she? Do her sides feel tense? Can you take a picture? You really need GasX. Oil is often used but it can be dangerous. If you accidentally get some in the lungs the end result is that you have cured the bloat but killed the goat. Put your ear against the side of the goat. Can you hear the stomach rumbling and gurgling?

Some things that can cause bloat are enterotoxemia, and a displaced abomasum. Since she is eating normally, it is unlikely either of these are the problem. Goats that are suffering from bloat usually don't eat, either. Since she is cold, you might put a sweatshirt on her.

:smackHow bloated is she? Do her sides feel tense? Can you take a picture? You really need GasX. Oil is often used but it can be dangerous. If you accidentally get some in the lungs the end result is that you have cured the bloat but killed the goat. Put your ear against the side of the goat. Can you hear the stomach rumbling and gurgling?

Some things that can cause bloat are enterotoxemia, and a displaced abomasum. Since she is eating normally, it is unlikely either of these are the problem. Goats that are suffering from bloat usually don't eat, either. Since she is cold, you might put a sweatshirt on her.
Hi so I was reading about bloat and it said that within a few hours she will die🤔..... So maybe it's not a bloat it's something else???? Her stomach is hard??? I will try to send a picture in a little bit. And I think you're right about the anemia. We gave her a vitamin B plus shot and hopefully that helps. Anemia could also be caused by lack of blood from external or internal blood sucking parasites. :barnie I have to figure out how to get those nasty ticks to leave our animals alone.

Hi so I was reading about bloat and it said that within a few hours she will die🤔..... So maybe it's not a bloat it's something else???? Her stomach is hard??? I will try to send a picture in a little bit. And I think you're right about the anemia. We gave her a vitamin B plus shot and hopefully that helps. Anemia could also be caused by lack of blood from external or internal blood sucking parasites. :barnie I have to figure out how to get those nasty ticks to leave our animals alone.
What do your local cattlemen use for tick control? Try that. By the way, ticks can be very dangerous. My neighbor in Missouri got Rocky Mountain tick fever. He very nearly died from it. He did eventually recover but he never fully regained his health. Any chance you could get some guineas? They do a good job of keeping ticks under control. I could never get them because they insisted on committing suicide by sitting in the middle of the road.

What do your local cattlemen use for tick control? Try that. By the way, ticks can be very dangerous. My neighbor in Missouri got Rocky Mountain tick fever. He very nearly died from it. He did eventually recover but he never fully regained his health. Any chance you could get some guineas? They do a good job of keeping ticks under control. I could never get them because they insisted on committing suicide by sitting in the middle of the road.
We have been looking for guineas. I don't know what what they use??? I'll try to look around in the feed stores to see what they us for ticks.

We have been looking for guineas. I don't know what what they use??? I'll try to look around in the feed stores to see what they us for ticks.
Farm advisors' office MIGHT be able to help you. I think my neighbor in Missouri used a pour on like ivermectin on his cattle.

Back
Top Bottom