Calling all GSD experts~ why does Holly do this?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Funky Feathers, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I just checked both ears with my otoscope (used to be a Vet Tech). No mites, nice & clean, no problems seen. Ears look good. I hid that toy, will see how she acts now. Also checked her teeth, no sensitivity on any of them. [​IMG]

2. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    FYI, Holly is pure German Shepherd, both her parents have papers (one has AKC, one has CKC). Her father's father was a champion Police dog. [​IMG]

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    hmmm.... I've only had one of my girls do anything like this. The final conclusion was that she was having a false pregnancy and thought the toy was her pup. We took it away and she cried for it and hunted it for several days, then brooded for several more. It took a couple of weeks for her to come back to her old self. BUT the next time she came into season, we went through it all over again.

Again, she was the only one of my GSDs or Dobies to ever do anything like this and we've probably had more than a dozen dogs over the years.

HTH

Rusty

4. My min pin will do that if a toy really squeaks. She will bite on the toy and then whine really loud when it squeaks. We have that same toy for our Golden.

5. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Yep, I think that's what it is. It squeaks and she cries. We gave it back to her and are playing along with it like it is her puppy. That worked the last time she had a false pregnancy. Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

6. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Songster

Apr 17, 2011
    My Doxies have done this with particular toys, for them it's been the pitch of that particular toy's squeak that irritates their ears or strikes a nerve.

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Songster

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I don't have any ideas of whats going on but I would say take it a way for a week or so and see if she still wines.

8. animalpro24

animalpro24 Songster

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:that's awesome. [​IMG]

9. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Hey Fattie, any conclusion on the issue between Chase and Holly? Did you find a trainer, or did you find a way to keep them separated?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL! Great shot of her teeth!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: