Calling all indoor quail keepers

I'm guessing in half square foot you would have battles at least. from what heard from greenhouse that had as pest control, even then females battled and was big greenhouse called the butterfly house (and no i have no idea as can't remember why they didn't eat the butterflies).

I had two pairs temp intwenty gallon tub fordays and males fine, but females fought continuously. each pair seperated into ten gallons and anytime females see each other they fight through glass (i use a cereal box between but they hop etc to try to look around as they hear or remember were each other are. males just call pace and herd back to nest, in between nesting, only challenging when can see each other.

Following along as I am a fledgling and new to raising a pair of Button Quail indoors. I was told that they can't be put in a cage with wire bottoms as it would hurt their feet. So my male and female are housed in an aquarium. Golly, I've cleaned out the pine chips daily and put it fresh but they do give off quite an ammonia smell. I'm hoping to find some suggestions to help with this issue as I live in a tiny home. I too have outdoor chickens and use a " Coop to Compost" product from Tractor Supply that really helps in their coop. I also spread fresh mint leaves and other herbs. Any help would be appreciated.

Following along as I am a fledgling and new to raising a pair of Button Quail indoors. I was told that they can't be put in a cage with wire bottoms as it would hurt their feet. So my male and female are housed in an aquarium. Golly, I've cleaned out the pine chips daily and put it fresh but they do give off quite an ammonia smell. I'm hoping to find some suggestions to help with this issue as I live in a tiny home. I too have outdoor chickens and use a " Coop to Compost" product from Tractor Supply that really helps in their coop. I also spread fresh mint leaves and other herbs. Any help would be appreciated.

I hear a bit of organic (with the "mother" in it) apple cider vinegar in the water helps with poo smells, I only keep coturnix quail and their poo has gotten sooo much better now that they're adults but I don't note an ammonia smell, it's more farmy to my nose hehe so hopefully a button quail keeper will have some tips for you :)

It may benefit the quail and help with the smell if you got them a cage with wire? That way fresh air can travel through and dilute the smell and dry the droppings faster than stale terrarium air, which would help with the smell as well.

Also, I know food can affect poo smell :p Maybe a higher quality feed/less of certain treats would help as well?

I can't get Manna Pro around here but maybe where you live, and for a button quail pair (not sure of their feed requirements) they would eat very little compared to all my coturnix making it perhaps affordable?

I have no idea if plants would help with ammonia but might be worth looking up and having some in their cage. Oh check out this amazing button quail cage I randomly came across on YouTube - sooo wish my coturnix wouldn't rip all those grass strips to shreds xD!!!

They have a flying bird in there with them as well :)

Most of the time I don't notice any particular smell from my indoor buttons and I clean the cages so rarely I don't even know how often it is - maybe once a month or so.
I keep some on wood chips and some on wood chips in half of the cage and sand in the other half. I've done shavings as well and no real smell there either.
Most of my buttons are kept in large cages with at least one wire side to ensure good ventilation - this makes the poos dry faster and dry poo doesn't stick to their feet or smell.
I do however keep 3 males in an aquarium as a temporary thing right now. They are on wood chips and I made a lid for the aquarium from wood and drilled holes in it for ventilation (I would have used a wire top but I have cats). I just had a sniff right now and there is definitely no ammonia smell but it does smell somewhat stuffy.
Their current feed is somewhat low in protein - I think it's around 19%. Usually I feed a 24% game bird starter crumble but the shop doesn't carry that during winter and I still haven't finished the bag I bought months ago. I haven't tried 24% while having birds in the aquarium but the ones in the cages don't smell any more when eating that.
The cages are around 2x4 ft for a pair and the temporary aquarium is around 28 inches by 12 inches.
I use no herbs, no ACV, no products of any kind to keep the smell down. I also very rarely give them treats - if I do, it's a tiny bit of budgie mix.

I'm wondering what ever happened with this article. This is EXACTLY what I am looking to try to do. Have a handful or less birds indoors to produce eggs for snacking and maybe cooking. I've got little kids and the egg size is prefect for little hands and mouths.

I know I’m 6 years late but im looking into keeping a pair of buttons indoors. I’ve read 8 cubic feet per quail but would 3 ft by 18” be ok or too small? I can fit 4 ft by 18“ elsewhere it’ll just take more effort lol

I know I’m 6 years late but im looking into keeping a pair of buttons indoors. I’ve read 8 cubic feet per quail but would 3 ft by 18” be ok or too small? I can fit 4 ft by 18“ elsewhere it’ll just take more effort lol
That sounds just about perfect for a pair of buttons. If you get more, you will want more room, but they'll be be fine in there.

Back
Top Bottom