Calling all Leahy and other Redwood Cabinet Owners

Dave, we couldn't get our humidity up above 48% until we added a solid shelf above the heater. You've got to get the air directed across a sheet of water. The shelf needs to be thin and the water pan should be no deeper than 1.5". As soon as we added that shelf under our cookie sheet of water (a nice big one with 1.25 inch depth), our humidity shot up to 75% and we were finally able to open up some vents to regulate it down. Temperature remained rock solid. I hope that helps.

I learned this when I found a site with a ton of great info from a Leahy pro. I'll see if I can hunt that up again.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks MSLewis... I have the original pans but I did just buy a digital thermometer that measures humidity and it is showing 50% in only one pan so maybe I was misreading the humidity level...???

BTW, if you still have that site, please put the link on here...
smile.png

Dave

Last edited:
Ok, now I have a question... My incubator for the first time is giving me some trouble. About a week before my last hatch the temps in the incubator spiked to 110. Never had that happen before. It does spike slightly (around 102) right before the chicks hatch, but never that high. In fact, my bator has been the BEST at maintaining temps. The other night, it did it again. Again about a week before the chicks hatched. I lowered the heat and now I've had to work several days to get the temp back up to 99.5. It went down to 96, then 97 then 98 and finally today back to normal. Took about 3 days to get that back on track. (Hoping it doesn't hurt my chicks who are supposed to hatch on Thursday). Has anyone else had this problem and how did you manage it??? Insights are very appreciated as are opinions.

Dave

The switches under the wafers get sticky. My backup switch is sticky. It resists the pressure from the wafer and, therefore, doesn't respond quickly. I've heard you can squirt a little WD-40 on the button, but that didn't help mine. My backup thermostat will maintain a temp +/- 2 degrees. My primary thermostat maintains +/- .4 degrees. Huge difference.

On mine, the primary switch has a metal bar/tab that accepts pressure from the wafer and acts as a lever on the switch button. My backup switch doesn't have that bar. I don't know what is original and what isn't, but I feel that the leverage of that metal tab, and its responsiveness, contributes to greater accuracy.

Quote:
Interesting... I wondered if the chick dander was getting up in the wafer and causing the problem... Your post makes me think that is the case. I'll try to spray it out but with the humidity it has probably created a paste.

I've heard people removing the wafers completely and replacing them with more modern stuff but I've read mixed reviews on this... Any opinions?

Dave

Regarding digital thermostats, it is definitely something I had considered. In fact, one of the mods here at BYC has a new GQF digital thermostat to sell, if she hasn't already done so. I looked into it, and I don't think that it would be hard at all to install. I haven't done it because my wafers are new and are working great. I guess i have learned not to fix things that aren't broken. Honestly, though, if I had to replace anything, I think I'd just stick with the wafers and switches. They are cheap and reliable and have an outstanding track record in our redwoods.

There is a Leahy model 624 for sale on our local craigslist. They say it is in good condition and works, but the current owners have not used it to hatch. They bought it five years ago. The previous owner used it regularly to hatch duck eggs. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for how much they should be asking?

When I go to look at it, is there anywhere that shows the year it was made? If there are parts that need to be replaced, can they still be found...or modifications used from similar parts? Their posted pictures look decent, but it is hard to tell. Can the redwood be "refinished" if it needs it? Any information before I make an offer on this would be MUCH appreciated!

Last edited:
Great, thank you. I bought it (model 624) last night and will bring it home this afternoon. It appears to be in excellent condition and works. Now the research begins. There is some great information in this thread and anyone else with experience/advice feel free to help me out. One thing I noticed is that there appears to be one or two trays for quail eggs and one or two for larger duck or goose eggs. (all 6 trays are original) I assume if there is enough clearance, chicken eggs could be set in these trays as well???
(BTW--this is NOT the one in KY)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom