Calling all Leahy and other Redwood Cabinet Owners

Urbanfarmerkc

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
Hi all,

I have a Leahy 416 and a Leahy 60 both are the Favorite brands. I have had incredible results with these machines and thought they deserve their own thread. I've also seen some new products coming out in cabinet style but I don't think they will compare to these old guys.

There are some kinks to work out with mine such as why does the temps go off the charts all of a sudden when the chicks hatch and how do I minimize that? But besides this, I get between 80 to 90% hatch almost every time.

What are your opinions and your interactions with yours? Feel free to post pics and give stories of your results also!

Dave

We recently purchased a 416 and I am totally in love with it. No results yet, but are expecting! It had been completely refurbished by a local guy who picks these up and fixes them up for sale, as a hobby. Our first batch of eggs are due to hatch April 2. We have had no trouble whatsoever with this, after a few adjustments. Temps and humidity stay rock solid (humidity may fluctuate with ambient humidity, but is easily controlled by vent adjustment).

One trick we learned from online research concerns humidity in the 416. Ours did not have the original water pan, which sits just above the heater at the bottom. The fan is at the top, blowing toward the rear, and airflow is directed by ramps in the back of the incubator. The water pan should sit across two stiles, like the trays do, right at the foot of the "ramp" that's in the bottom of the back of the incubator. Our original shelf had been replaced by a modified oven rack, upon which we placed a cookie sheet of water, and we could not get the humidity up above 45%. The airflow just got lost when it hit that open oven rack. That ramp terminates about an inch and a half above the shelf and is supposed to direct airflow over the surface of the water, which should be in a pan no deeper than 1.25 inches and is, in fact, gently heated by the heater just below it.

One day, I took an old aluminum sign we had around, cut it to the right size, and installed it as a shelf above the heater, across the stiles and all the way front to back, as it should be. Upon this shelf, we again placed a cookie sheet full of water ... And our humidity jumped right up and became easily regulated by adjusting vent openings! Keeping that airflow over the surface of the water was like magic.

My only disappointment so far is that I had hoped to hatch staggered batches. It has been recommended to us, and I agree, that we hatch separately from the incubator. In other words, on day 18, remove the soon-to-hatch eggs to a separate hatcher. It makes sense, considering that once locked down for hatch for one batch, all the other eggs in the incubator are exposed to the necessarily higher humidity AND cannot (or should not) be turned - this machine has no auto turners, and I cannot justify opening the thing up during the critical lock down period.

So what do you do but hatch separately? Leahy has instructions for hatching staggered batches ... But what about turning the other eggs?

Another tip: turn the thing off before you open it up, or you will blow out all your heat and humidity! Even off, you will lose quite a bit.

Oh, if anybody has successfully made wire-handled turners that slide under and turn your eggs, I would love pictures.

I don't remove mine when hatching cause it didn't make sense to do that since I have to keep my incubator in my house. I have never had trouble with staggering my hatches even though I don't take them out and hatch separately. I also don't lock down at hatch time. The chicks tend to turn the other eggs upside down when they hatch so if I don't turn them upside again, the chicks die. I turn the eggs even while the others are hatching...

Another clue I have learned is put paper towel under the eggs before they hatch. It helps keep the eggs stable during the hatch.

Dave

I am curious, do you have one, or two, thermostats ?

I have a couple of Jamesway 2940 .. similar to your leahy.

one thermostat is for preventing spikes like you describe.. it is called a back-up or fail safe..

set it first to 100F then set the primary one to 99.5

Dave, please tell me how you do your staggered hatches.

Until I was convinced otherwise, here is what I had planned: set eggs in top tray. One week later, move that tray to 2nd position and set new eggs in top tray. Continue until trays are full, oldest at bottom and newest at top, maintaining 50-55% humidity. Last 3 days for bottom tray, bring humidity up to 70-75%, let them hatch and dry and remove to brooder, then allow incubator to dry down to around 40 for a few days, then bring back up to hatching humidity for next batch. I guess I had planned on turning all other eggs during hatch ... But hadn't really thought about it thoroughly. This is basically how the Leahy manual suggests staggering the hatch. Turning would be much easier and faster if I had a proper turning rod to slide under the eggs. Perhaps that is the key.

Another question: Leahy suggests regular motor oil for fan motor. What do y'all use?

The 416 has two thermostats, one of which is a back up. I set ours up as described.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not as organized as you are planning to be. When my chicks are about to hatch, I move the tray to the bottom. They way you plan looks better though. I keep paper towels in the bottom of my try to prevent chicks from getting turned upside down while pipping and that catches all the debris also so, it is ok to hatch two trays above each other. I keep my humidity at 30% and bring it up to as high as I can at hatch time. Of course, I have other eggs set too. I've never been able to get the humidity above 50%. I'd be interested in knowing how you guys pull that off. I fill both trays up on the bottom at hatch time then add sponges to avoid the film problem as the chick's down collects in the water.

I also move my chicks out as soon as they dry off into a brooder incubator also a Favorite Leahy. It is the small variety and I keep it on top of the 416. This way, I keep the dander down in the main incubator as well as keep the other eggs safer for hatching. Again, I don't lock down as is suggested. I've lost too many chicks by standing back. I lost one this last time I hatched and none the time before where I was losing 3 or 4 per hatch. This is when the eggs would get turned upside down while pipping and the chick would drown before it could hatch.

This last time, I had a horrible time with the shells getting stuck to the chicks. It only happened to my last hatches so I assumed it was a combination of weak chicks opening the egg and then the humidity not being high enough to keep the shell moist. I had to help 3 out of the shell... Of course, I just opened the shell a little and sprayed the membrane with warm water. I'm guessing if I could get my humidity up a bit more then that problem would disappear.

Yes to the motor oil. I oil mine before the season starts and again when I put the incubator away. No, to oiling the fan when you are hatching eggs in it. My fan runs loud so I'm guessing I'll soon have to replace it. Mine is original.

As far as a turning rod. It is a really simple thing. I have my originals and I would guess you could get that sent to you. Here is a guy I know who sells used and refurbished parts.
http://sunnycreekfarms.zxq.net/

Dave

Here are some links to useful sites about the Leahy Incubator:

History of the incubator as well as helpful info. This guy is a Peafowl man but I use his techniques with Chickens (including starting with the cochin) and it is very useful.

http://www.leggspeafowl.com/Historyoftheleahyincubator.htm

This is a site where supposedly you can get things shipped to you cheaper (agricultural related). I don't have personal experience so if you use them please let us know how successful you are.

http://www.uship.com/shipment/Old-Leahy-Vintage-Chicken-Egg-Incubator-/136056027/

Dave

One final post... If you find a Leahy for sale in your area, please post it here. These are becoming more difficult to find as time goes on. So, the more we can help each other and others who want to use the Leahy the better!

Here is a listing for one here in Kansas City:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/2281076433.html

Please remember to let folks know when this is gone so people aren't chasing empty links.
smile.png

DAve

I have just purchased a model 171-600. Not sure if this is a Leahy. I am going to use this next month, but first need to replace some wiring and change the wafer.

Quote:
You bring up a good point... I don't think that is a Leahy number (but could be wrong) but Leahy built a LOT of incubators that has Sear's name and Montgomery Ward's name on them. They also shipped all around the world.

If it is an antique redwood incubator, it is most likely a Leahy and if it is a 171-600 meaning it holds 600 eggs it is probably the same as a Leahy 624... ??? How many eggs does yours fit?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom