Calling All Legbar Owners!

mchickies

Chirping
Mar 4, 2022
Hi Everyone! So, a little backstory first; I already have a flock of exclusively Barred Rocks + one fiesty Roo-Roo. The hens are super sweet & friendly, like being held, and are well-loved and spoiled pets. Only two of them are skittish (don't like being picked up), and even they are total sweethearts. They're completely free-ranged on 5 acres with tons of shade, dust-bathing spots, and greens to eat (so no chance of boredom). Now, I'm planning on buying some female Crested Cream Legbar chicks locally, sometime later this year, but I'm not sure how their temperament will be. I mean, I'd love them either way but I'd like to know what the general consensus is. I've heard they can be skittish and unfriendly, but I've also heard that about BRs and, in my experience, if you give them lot's of love (and food :D) they're total puppy dogs! So, what's the take on it? Are they cuckoo for cocoa puffs? Or cuddlebugs?

Also, while we're at it...any other suggestions for a friendly, auto-sexing breed. NOT sex-links...I won't be dealing with any kind of reproductive stuff again...

I had two legbars. Both were very skittish. However, I also have/had two olive eggers who are half legbar and super sweet lap chickens. I guess it depends on the individual chicken. For a friendly, auto-sexing breed, bielefieder is the one! They are just big teddy bears!
Thank-you so much! I must've missed the Bielefelders because they look so much like Welbars.

Thank-you so much! I must've missed the Bielefelders because they look so much like Welbars.
I have Welbars too, both gold and silver colors. I think they are overall friendly and cute, but not cuddly. Their eggs are just gorgeous! Shinny dark chocolate brown! In person, I think Bielefelders looks much prettier, and calmer.

I would say if you like BR, you will like Welbar too. They are very similar in personality. Overall, Welbars are mix of BR and Welsummer.

I have Welbars too, both gold and silver colors. I think they are overall friendly and cute, but not cuddly. Their eggs are just gorgeous! Shinny dark chocolate brown! In person, I think Bielefelders looks much prettier, and calmer.

I would say if you like BR, you will like Welbar too. They are very similar in personality. Overall, Welbars are mix of BR and Welsummer.
You've owned both Bielefelder & Welbar, right? Are Bielefelders particularly broody?

Hi Everyone! So, a little backstory first; I already have a flock of exclusively Barred Rocks + one fiesty Roo-Roo. The hens are super sweet & friendly, like being held, and are well-loved and spoiled pets. Only two of them are skittish (don't like being picked up), and even they are total sweethearts. They're completely free-ranged on 5 acres with tons of shade, dust-bathing spots, and greens to eat (so no chance of boredom). Now, I'm planning on buying some female Crested Cream Legbar chicks locally, sometime later this year, but I'm not sure how their temperament will be. I mean, I'd love them either way but I'd like to know what the general consensus is. I've heard they can be skittish and unfriendly, but I've also heard that about BRs and, in my experience, if you give them lot's of love (and food :D) they're total puppy dogs! So, what's the take on it? Are they cuckoo for cocoa puffs? Or cuddlebugs?

Also, while we're at it...any other suggestions for a friendly, auto-sexing breed. NOT sex-links...I won't be dealing with any kind of reproductive stuff again...
Mine are totally chill. They're fun, inquisitive, industrious birds, great foragers, less likely to roost in the trees than my leghorns, never had an aggressive cock.

Your mileage may vary, however. There's a huge range of legbars out there with a vast array of differences in all of the traits. They have a long way to go before they're stabilized and consistent in the US.

Mine are totally chill. They're fun, inquisitive, industrious birds, great foragers, less likely to roost in the trees than my leghorns, never had an aggressive cock.

Your mileage may vary, however. There's a huge range of legbars out there with a vast array of differences in all of the traits. They have a long way to go before they're stabilized and consistent in the US.
How loud are they out of curiosity?

Back
Top Bottom