Calling all Marans experts!

He’s at the difficult stage when their proportions are all changing, so it’s a bit hard to tell.

I worry he looks very leggy (his legs look very long for a marans).

His tail is also very long, but looks like it’s a good angle. Hopefully he grows into the tail, which is very possible.

Now that those nitpicks are out the way, just let me say how stunning the copper is for his age. Perfect shades of copper on the hackles and red on the shoulders from what I can see. @wrathsfarm he might give your Kong a run for his money.

His legs are the correct colour, feathered correctly.

His comb looks like it’s going to be neat, not too big either. Face nice and red and wattles good and round.

Body nice and long, seems deep and wide throughout as well.

That’s all I have to say for now, he’s definitely one to watch, has real potential. He just needs to fatten up and let that beautiful copper fill in.

He’s at the difficult stage when their proportions are all changing, so it’s a bit hard to tell.

His tail is also very long, but looks like it’s a good angle. Hopefully he grows into the tail, which is very possible.

Now that those nitpicks are out the way, just let me say how stunning the copper is for his age. Perfect shades of copper on the hackles and red on the shoulders from what I can see. @wrathsfarm he might give your Kong a run for his money.

His comb looks like it’s going to be neat, not too big either. Face nice and red and wattles good and round.

That’s all I have to say for now, he’s definitely one to watch, has real potential. He just needs to fatten up and let that beautiful copper fill in.
Thank you for chiming in... Always appreciated. 👍

Thank you for chiming in... Always appreciated. 👍
Thank you for tagging me as if I am a ‘marans expert’!

I’m always happy to use the knowledge I have to help, feel free to tag me on any post you think I might have some insight on.
I haven’t read this entire thread, has anyone suggested checking out the International BCM thread to the starter?

Heres my Kong, if I haven't posted pics of him here. I've been told by some of the best breeders here on byc that he has very good coloring.
His faults are he has a huge comb, he's a little over colored in the chest and he's a little narrow from chest to tail (type...he should be wide all the way back, a little incline is acceptable in the breed standard.) He's from Meyers hatchery. Not tooting any horn, here. He's hatchery quality and I'm working with him. I just did a test hatch from 3 of my best hens to hopefully fix his faults in his progeny. 2 hens are my darkest layers with not a lot of copper in their hackles to get darker eggs and see what coloring his progeny produces. The 3rd hen is all black, no copper. This should be the best girl to fix his over colored chest.
We shall see....
A highly regarded Marans breeder here on byc once told me.. "we work with what we have and everything is fixable. If we cull all our Marans for faults, we won't have any Marans"

Kong...
View attachment 3817744View attachment 3817741View attachment 3817743
I think that Kong is stunning! I hope Drogon(I'm a GOT fan) / he has another name as a joke that my fiance and his buddies call him...is at least half as beautiful as your handsome man.

Thank you so so much! I'll have to fatten him up for sure! He's been such a treat! I have enjoyed watching him grow. I took my younger EEs outside to hang out in their exercise/integration pen. Y'all should have seen him! He ran up to the pen with a blade of grass and was clucking at them. He was being sweet on the littles! Warmed my heart.

On the other hand, I am EXCITED to see how he grows. He won't be breeding stock or anything unless I choose to hatch out some BY mixes, but with him being hatchery quality, I'd like to see how he compares to breeder qualities when he's fully feathered out. (If that makes sense lol).

Again thank you so much for coming on here and discussing my handsome little cockerel! I'll have to tell him over some apples later! HAHA

I think that Kong is stunning! I hope Drogon(I'm a GOT fan) / he has another name as a joke that my fiance and his buddies call him...is at least half as beautiful as your handsome man.
Well thank you very much. Like I said he's got his faults but he's a great dude.... So I'm gonna work with him. Here's the 8 that are almost 5 weeks, 2 confirmed boys from Kong x Joannie my darkest layer and second pic is the biggest boy. I think he's gonna be a tank like his dad.
IMG_20240501_191225.jpg
IMG_20240501_190655.jpg

Back
Top Bottom