CALLING ALL MOTORCYCLE DRIVERS - Motorcycle Driving and Etiquette

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
As I was driving home from work on yesterday (30 miles away from home) and I was driving in the right lane, I was startled and frightened by the loud roar (wasn't expecting that) of a motorcycle that sped up from behind me, got into the left lane and then sped through 2 vehicles ahead of me that were semi-parallel on the interstate in the left and right lanes with a small distance of space between them that I would consider dangerous for a motorcycle to pass between the two. So many times, I hear on the news of people being injured or killed in these tragic motorcycle accidents. At the same time, I hear people who advocate "Motorist Awareness for Motorcycle Drivers" and I'm all for it. But what I'm confused about is it safe or proper motorcycle driving for motorcycle riders to pass between 2 cars like that just to "pass" someone, especially if the car drivers are following the speed limit? I have never driven a motorcycle before, so I wanted to ask the motorcycle experts because I don't know what the rules of the highway or interstate are.

Last edited:
Motorcycle rules are the same as a car. Sometimes just because they fit between something, doesn't mean they should go.
Bike was wrong, but maybe he/she has a good excuse...

Your not suppose to. i hate seeing people do it and i never did it when i had mine. Some people like being jerks like that and you cant stop them. Other people care more and know the rules.

no that is not normal.......crazy kids i call them...........yes i have seen them doing the same, an cars going 70 + MPH.

In some states like CA it is legal to pass between two cars in traffic if traffic is moving less than 25 mph. In other states it is illegal to pass at all between two cars. As a former Doner cycle rider. What the rider did in this case was reckless. Sad to say but I hope he is a doner so that when he does end his life over a stupid decision on his motorcycle. Some kid who needs a liver or a heart or whatever will get it.

Quote:
True there may be a valid reason for the driving. I once witnessed a car driving erraticly in and out of traffic upsetting drivers all the way down the road only to learn later they were rushing their 4 yr old daughter who was not breathing to the emergency room. It is best just to let people get around you and go about your day.

This summer on the way home from a field trial I was in the right hand lane going 70 mph. Glanced in my side view mirror and saw a guy on a motorcycle approaching in the 'fast' lane - DOING A WHEELY!
ep.gif
He had to be going 80 when he passed leaning out over the bike like a jockey. He continued on another half mile or so before he dropped it down and exited the highway. Can you say Death Wish?
th.gif

Quote:
Yes death wish but i will admit it. I have been on the back of a bike while my friend was driving and popped a wheely with me on it. It was pretty scary but also pretty smooth. The only problem is if something were to happen you wouldnt be able to react as quick. I have been out riding with some of these "idiots" and its their ego and out look that makes them like this. They think they are better than everyone else and know everything about driving so they act like this to show off. And me being a girl riding a sports bike i had alot of these guys do this around me. Its unsafe and if you meet any decent rider they do not act like this.

I'd bet money that the motorcycle driver you saw was riding a crotch rocket, not a Honda Goldwing, an Indian or a larger Harley.

No, it's not proper motorcycle etiquette.

Quote:
Yes, you are absolutely right!!!! I just goggled "crotch rocket" and that is exactly what I saw on yesterday. Did I use the correct name? Is it still a motorcycle or is it another name? As you can tell, I know nothing about motorcycles.
gig.gif
Thanks for letting me know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom