Calling all Mountain quail expert once again

bluenkimchi

Songster
7 Years
Sep 13, 2012
Ok so I have 4 mountain quail(all under 1 years old believe to be around 4-6 months) that I showed you guys pictures of last time. The last time I showed their pictures all had a short top knot feather. Now 2 have lost theirs and the other 2 has retain theirs which are fully grown 2 1/2"-3"(i believe). The 2 that lost theirs were only 1/2"-1" and now has started to regrow again. Do you guys think the ones that retain theirs are males and the other ones are females? Any one has experience like this with their already sex mountain Quail? Thanks in advance for any response.

-bluenkimchi

patience Grasshopper, time will tell
barnie.gif

Losing the feathers have nothing to do with sex, its happened to mine a few times. It more than likely was from light pecking. Come the end of the year/first of the year, you should very easily see the brown on the females necks as Tony said, males will have greyish necks. Although, on some occassions, you will have a bird that will be nearly impossible to tell the sex even as an adult and in that case, wait till breeding season and see who crows.

...Although, on some occassions, you will have a bird that will be nearly impossible to tell the sex even as an adult and in that case, wait till breeding season and see who crows.
Reminds me of a male that I once had. I thought it was a female at first because it had lots of brown but it turned out to be a male. Also, females are capable of crowing too depending on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom