Calling all pictures of Barnevelders

Here's some pictures of my Barnevelders I took this morning. It finally stopped raining and the sun came out for a few minutes!

30473_rooster_1.jpg

30473_pullets_21.jpg

30473_chickens_230.jpg

Very, very nice.
I sure due like em'
Have you ever see such beautiful birds in your life?
I really do want to thank every one who is participating in the thread. Thank you!
Mike

I really like them too!
love.gif

The Barnevelder girls are always underfoot and wondering what you are doing. We were working on a fence and one barnie girl was standing right between my feet while we were digging post holes. She wanted to be the first to get the worms! My roo Cornelis minds his own business, is quiet and so far he's leaving my two young kids alone.

Oh, a very handsome roo tls_ranch!

I have a question for you more experienced Barnevelder owners/breeders: Will my chickens have the same/similar feathering pattern after they moult, or can the patterning change after a moult?
hu.gif

Thanks!
Sam

I haven't owned my barnies long enough for them to go through a true "adult" moult. They are 9 months old in the pictures I posted. Mine have a very good pattern because they came from show type lines. I have been told that breeders should wait until the patterned/laced breeds go through at least one adult moult to do final culling and selection for the best birds.

TLS, those are some nice looking birds. Especially the ladies. Whose line are they? How is their leg color? How about their egg color?

Clucky, I have found that Barnies and even other breeds can have nicer plumage come in after their first adult molt. I've seen the lacing improve on Barnies and with my Ameraucanas I've seen both a nicer look come in and also had some black ticking show up in the hackles that wasn't there before which was a bummer.

God Bless,

I have a few barnies and I hope they grow up to be anywhere near as nice as yours TLS.I have about 11 pullets and 5 roo's that are from 3 to 4 months old.I am going to cull some when they are a little older but I am pretty happy with most of mine now.I will try to post pictures soon.I am glad I found this thread.I am new to this breed and I am trying to learn more about them.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi Royce,
I'm Trisha and I know you from the Barnevelder yahoo group. I have 3 pullets from Christina Ledford's "vB" line and 4 pullets from the Kelly Cratty"KC" line (via Christina L, J. Gabbard) My roo is from the "vB" line. His tail is a bit sorry looking because the girls just love the shiny feathers too much. The girls have lighter yellow legs, but not as pale as some that I've seen.

The egg color on the vB's is much better than the KC's. In the picture, the really light small eggs come from a wyandotte pullet and the darker and speckled eggs come from a vB pullets. The speckled egg was a first egg! The blue wyandotte pullet had been laying a full month when this photo was taken.

30473_eggs_007_2.jpg

Here are some pictures from the old Barnevelder flock I used to have. I do believe these birds were directly from Lowell Barber but I can't remember anymore. It has been a long time ago. Please excuse some of the grainy images. I have lost the original digital photos and had to scan printed copies onto the computer to save them again.

Pretty Boy doing what he did best:

PrettyBoy-1.jpg

A nicely colored hen in bright sunlight free-ranging:

Triple-lacedBarnevelderHen.jpg

These photos show the same rooster in molt along with a hen and a young Bourbon Red Tom. These pictures are originals and are much clearer.

Prettyboynew.jpg

Prettyboy2new.jpg

BarnevelderPairnew.jpg

Quote:
Does anyone know how to get back to breeding the triple-laced lighter colored hens? Like Chickndaddy's old Lowell Barber flock?
Most of the Barnevelders that I see here in the US have the really dark lacing and are more black.

Back
Top Bottom