Calling all Silver Spangled Hamburg owners!

firsthouse_mp

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
NorthernCal
Tell me everything I need to know about your SSHs!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I already have 3 EEs, 1 Barred Rock, 2 RIRs who are 1-2 years old. My new SSH chicks arrive next week and I will again be loving raising new chicks and challenged with integrating flocks in Mar/April.

I started with three hens and had to integrate 1 year olds with 3 months olds. Took a bit of work, but managed to integrate them all after a bit of "switching around". I actually enjoyed the process since it involved some thought and a logical integration scheme, plus a little bit of "chicken dedication".

So, all you SSH owners, tell me when you had your first egg and what you have noticed about your hens. Also, if you did a flock integration, please share what you learned!!! My sweet new chicks arrive from Ohio (hopefully healthy!) and I am sooooo looking forward to a few new chicks! All you wonderful SSH owners, help me out
smile.png

My 2 SSH hens are 3 years old and one of them is currently going though molt and the other finished her molt a month ago. I got both of them as day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery. They are rather low on the pecking order whereas they outrank most of my larger hens, they tend to get bullied by the bigger hens because of their small size, but their nimbleness allows them to steal scraps from the feed pan I bring out to them and escape. They are very pretty and love to forage. I've had to trim their wings back, they've actually flown 8' up onto the roof of my house and my 5' fence in the yard wasnt a challange for them to fly over neither. They lay small white eggs. They can be 'squawky' at times, especially if you bring them treats, they want their share and are excited just like the others. They're somewhat friendly, shy, but will come when called, and will follow you around the yard, they wont hop up on your lap while sitting out in the yard in a chair. Now that the weather is cooler/colder, they've slacked off laying and probably wont lay til spring much like the others. Most of my hens are in molt anyway. They are easy to raise like other chicks, no problems there. When the time comes to introduce them to your flock, I highly recommend you introduce them in the middle of the night while the others are sleeping or cant see what's going on...there wont be any fighting to re-establish the pecking order. The Hamburgs will fight with others but will end up losing just because of their small size (pecking order). I've had to break up a couple of small fights a few months ago between one of my 1.5 year old Red Stars and one of the Hamburgs. The Red Star started it, but I broke it up....a pecking order issue and this occured out in the open yard too. If this happens to you, always break up any fights because you dont want injuries nor stress to prevent anyone from laying eggs. Overall I like SSH's, however IMHO if I had to start over I'd only have Black Stars and Barred Rocks. I might add that my Hamburgs have never had any medical problems other than normal worming and an occasional dusting, very healthy birds. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dawg: Thank you for your really nice and informational post. I am looking forward to a few white eggs this summer! I am taking special note of your comment about preferring the other breeds. You aren't the first person to say something like that. I do love my barred rock and RIRs. One of my RIRs is SOOOOO tame and sweet and I swear she is more obedient than our dog!

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Mine started laying at about 18 weeks old. They are both extreamly flighty and dont like people, even though they were hatched from the egg and raised by me. I wouldnt recommend them as a pet because they are flighty, but they are very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom