calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
Well, it's the first day of spring.
yesss.gif
And the male redwing blackbirds have arrived; so, they agree that it is spring. Well then. why is it snowing to beat the band?
th.gif
I am SO over this unending winter!

Only one lone migrant spotted here so far, a turkey vulture. A bald eagle was hunting along the frozen river yesterday. There are loads of goldfinches still in their winter plumage at the feeder along with purple finches, a pair of cardinals and a wren. There are fewer juncos and the blue jays have come through less regularly.

Last edited:
The feeder is pretty lonely right now.

A few nut hatches, a couple woodpeckers , downey and Hairy. that is about it.

We have no snow and 50 degree weather it is very dry so I suppose they are eating in the swamps and meadows.

Pine Siskins are back..

and red breasted nuthatches.....

Edited to tell everyone my pair of cardinals showed up. This is the first I have seen of the female in over a month!

Last edited:
Birds fed heavily yesterday. Some grackles joined the redwings and they emptied all of the feeders. The grackles and redwings were very spooky and would frequently fly away only to return. I'm guessing they were 'hawk spooked' from many attacks during their migration.

I generally get them when they are migrating. It just seems to be a 'stopover' on their trip. None are present today. They refueled yesterday and went on their way.

Was just watching a huge flock of cedar waxwings attacking a yaupon holly full of berries. I didn't see many American Goldfinch this winter as I had in the past - still have lots of the darker stripy finches though. Several silly house wrens are determined to get into the garage every time the door is up. I just put up a new feeder pole today away from the trees to discourage the squirrels. I need to get a couple of new feeders to hang on it and decide what sort of seed to add to the mix. I put up a wooden hopper type one and it keeps getting wet and clogged up - the tube style stay drier except the very bottom bit.

Things are so much earlier than normal here. The maple trees are budding ( large buds) popple and birch have started too.

But bird activity is way behind. I saw a crow/raven chasing some kind of raptor yesterday, I did not get a good look at the raptor with my old eyes.

I just re-filled the feeders, but I have no idea what is emptying them I see so few birds.

It is sort of snowing, one flake every few minutes and on cue a Junco just showed up.......

Back
Top Bottom