calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
For several days down at the beagle club I have noticed a juvenile 'dove' flying around with an adult. Today they were walking in the club parking lot. It's a juvenile cowbird hanging with a dove. Does anyone think that a cowbird is capable of parasitizing a dove nest, and would a dove be able to feed and raise a cowbird? Interesting stuff out there in the world of nature.

Yeppers, I have found lots of dove nests over the years, especially when I was young (high school) and working on a Xmas tree farm. I would bet over half the dove nests had Cowbird eggs in them.

From what I have read the only North American bird that cowbirds cannot survive the rearing process with is the goldfinch because the diet is too low in protein for the cowbird..

Great Picture WHoopWhoop..

I think sharing the pictures here is great, we all get so busy and do not pay attention to the birds in our own areas. I use to wish we had colorful variety of birds like they do in South America or Africa, But now that I have retired and slowed down, I started seeing the birds here, we have some beautiful birds too.

I looked out yesterday at one point and I had differing shades of Red and Blue, Black and white and the bright yellow goldfinches, what more could I ask for?

@duluthralphie yep they do say that bird watching comes into its own when you retire
smile.png
... and yes you do have really stunning birds... I find I spend more money on feeding my chooks,birds and wildlife than I do the family. I am off to the UK in a few weeks so will try and get some pics of their birds just for a change (bet ours are prettier though, no disrespect intended).
smile.png

@duluthralphie yep they do say that bird watching comes into its own when you retire
smile.png
... and yes you do have really stunning birds... I find I spend more money on feeding my chooks,birds and wildlife than I do the family. I am off to the UK in a few weeks so will try and get some pics of their birds just for a change (bet ours are prettier though, no disrespect intended).
smile.png

Have a good trip, I have seen the English Sparrow, so I know yours are better,,,,,

I get several different kinds of Finches & Hummingbirds.
big_smile.png
I am not educated enough on birds to list the names. Sorry.
idunno.gif
But I do get a Bronze Breasted Turkey.
yesss.gif
HAHAHA! His name is Chirpy & he loves when I set the seed out.
yippiechickie.gif

Great pictures Carlisles!

What "variety/species of hummer is that? It does not look quite like ours but hard to tell.

Your turkey is one handsome dude!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom