Calling All Yankees and Urban Warriors in MA!

hipdeep

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
I'm in Cape Ann, looking to see up my chooks this June. Planning on a June chick order! Love to hear from other MA folks
smile.png

Hey everyone! I'm hoping to have an eglu set up by mid-June. In the spring I'm planning to attend the Backyard Chickens class at Codman Farms in Lincoln MA, and then put in an order with McMurrays or MyPetChicken. I'd like an aracunas for sure; we have a 2 year old and I know she'll love the blue eggs. But we really are looking forward to the eggs (and they're not so reliable?) and I guess I can't have more than 3 chickens in an eglu? So I'm guessing I should go with a bionic layer like the Red Star? And lastly, I wanted something cool. Initially, I wanted a silkie and a polish frizzle but I was advised against keeping that many in an eglu and mixing in bantams, so maybe a silver laced polish cochin standard? Or a golden polish? Whatchya think?

Anyone else on the North shore? Or in Boston? Where are your favorite suppliers? I'm looking for a local organic feed store too! Anyone else using the eglus?

I plan on brooding the day old chicks in the first week of July. I'm a teacher and will be home full time then. I'm a little nervous. Is it hard? I was thinking of doing the brooding circle, and not buying a brooder as it seems excessive for one hatch.

I'm so psyched I found you guys!
-Brooke

I'm on the South Shore.

I go to Fitts Mill in Hanson and Scituate.
They sell the Purina Layena with no by products.

I also buy Blue Seal because I can buy it in small bags.
That's the link for the Codman Class...neat!!!
http://www.codmanfarm.citymax.com/page/page/4439665.htm

You would also have to know what predators are in your area. I have hawks, eagles, raccoons, skunks, snakes, squirrels, dogs, cats, foxes and possums.

Most chicken breeds come in a bantam size, but they're harder to sex so you could end up with guys. You'd also have to go and check out your health department for their rules, the zoning board for their rules and animal control for their rules...

I've only brooded once. My son's 3rd grade class hatched chicks and I took two home. That was the start of my obsession. LOL

I'm hoping the eglu is as fox proof as advertised as I have personally met the fisher cats. We also have coyotes... I shiver to think.

Quote:
My Dad lives in Gloucester. That is where I am origonally from. HELLO! ( I live in Arkansas now)

Hello from Uxbridge! Nowhere near the North Shore but still in the same time zone.

I'm curious about the igloo. Where did you find them? I've seen calves in igloos but I didn't know they made them for chickens - I need to get out more.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom