calling any one from missouri

Currently 32 here in Macon county. It hit 31 earlier so I'm glad I got all the plants in yesterday. I still need to dig up glad bulbs but they should be okay in the ground. A month or so ago I read that the Old Farmer's Almanac is predicting a colder and snowier than last year winter for our area. I hope they are wrong but unfortunately they hit it pretty much on the head last winter.

My poor chickens wouldn't leave the coop for weeks on end. They didn't like the snow, they didn't like the cold. They were happy to sit inside and look out. I finally grabbed one and bodily launched it out of the coop one day when the snow was partially melted and there were thin spots in the snow cover. It took to wing, flew a circle never touching the ground and landed on the pop door ramp. It would have no party to stepping on that cold white stuff that was everywhere.

Can't say I didn't empathize with the bird.

Fred the spider? I'm sorry I missed out on that one. What kind was he? A wolf?

Apple Butter Festival....mmmmmm. I can just imagine how good that smells. The whole town must smell like cinnamon and apples!

That's funny about the chickens not going out. My chickens do go out in the snow, but avoid deep areas, and they appreciate paths I make with a big push broom. But this morning, they didn't want to get up at the usual time! Everyone just looked at me when I opened the coop and turned on the light.
Fred the spider was an orb weaver type, which I read only live one season. Some species live thru the winter.

Yesterday morning I plucked Moonshine off the roost where she was huddled shivering, and dressed her (briefly) for the Halloween costume contest--
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-halloween-chicken-in-costume.1335462/
She was a good sport about it, especially after I bribed her with sunflower seeds:
moonshine costume.jpg
I don't know if any of you are the type who would dress up a chicken or duck, but anyway there's the link to the contest.

That's funny about the chickens not going out. My chickens do go out in the snow, but avoid deep areas, and they appreciate paths I make with a big push broom. But this morning, they didn't want to get up at the usual time! Everyone just looked at me when I opened the coop and turned on the light.
Fred the spider was an orb weaver type, which I read only live one season. Some species live thru the winter.

Mine are the same way. They will go out if I have shoveled a path for them!

That ought to get us some fall colors!

We’re headed to the punkin’ patch later today for a kids birthday party... hope it warms up a little by then.

apple butter sounds pretty good this morning... if you go you’ll have to show us some pics.

Also R.I.P. Fred ... if the cold hadn’t got him, Shaw probably woulda hunted him down and smashed him :p

I took my granddaughter ( 2 years old) to a friend's pumpkin patch today. I waited until noon so it would be closer to 60 outside! She loved sitting on the tractor ( decorated with pumpkins and gourds) and pretending to drive. She even tried to use the gear stick to change gears!

The punkin’ patch we went to for the birthday party is in Kearney ...it’s grown beyond just a patch of punkins’ over the years... and it’s almost an amusement park at this point.

I found Fred the spider and a few of his friends at the birthday party ;)
A14B3765-D68D-448B-812C-8DC2FF46D1BE.jpeg

The giant corn pit is always a hit with the kids
A253CB85-B5EF-4BC5-A44C-8B6F38D2AC08.jpeg

Our four year old niece liked the “jeekuns”
BBEEEC41-7318-423A-BCD6-CD20FF5093E7.jpeg

And the baby “jeekuns”
B6A367C0-6D4B-4C30-8FD6-68BA69FA8CAF.jpeg

And she and this guy had a long conversation about silly goose stuff
8A4B1851-E3AF-428C-A564-E57665EF0ABE.jpeg

This old combine has been upgraded from farm equipment to play ground equipment
98FF9FE5-2B64-4BEA-88D6-436184CD3BE9.jpeg

The kids shot buckets of old apples from these air cannons at an old tractor and other targets
50342D62-9A04-4888-92A5-C7AD0277FEC9.jpeg

The punkin’ patch we went to for the birthday party is in Kearney ...it’s grown beyond just a patch of punkins’ over the years... and it’s almost an amusement park at this point.

I found Fred the spider and a few of his friends at the birthday party ;)
View attachment 1932874

The giant corn pit is always a hit with the kids
View attachment 1933294

Our four year old niece liked the “jeekuns”
View attachment 1933295

And the baby “jeekuns”
View attachment 1933299

And she and this guy had a long conversation about silly goose stuff
View attachment 1933296

This old combine has been upgraded from farm equipment to play ground equipment
View attachment 1933293

The kids shot buckets of old apples from these air cannons at an old tractor and other targets
View attachment 1933298
Wow! What a nice place to take the kids! Our kids and grandkids are far away. I'm visiting for Halloween . In Oregon. Can't wait!

Love the air cannon! I have seen pumpkin cannons. I was born and raised in central Illinois. A city near us, Morton, has a pumpkin festival every year and one of the events used to be a home made pumpkin cannon competition. Always a kick to watch veggies get turned into a weapon.

So is anybody seeing any fall color in the trees yet. Not here. Not yet.

Back
Top Bottom