calling any one from missouri

I am new to this area, Macon County, but have been raising chickens for about 3 years. Started with ducks last year but lost them this winter, my new ducks are getting ready to be out on their own..very scary for me. I am looking to start with beekeeping but haven't found anyone in the area. I hope to attend one of the beekeeping meetings in Columbia but seems to fall on a date I already have something scheduled. Also would like to get a couple of dairy goats but DH not so interested. Glad to read everyone's comments. LOVE BYC!!

Check with the AG extension office for people in your area. U of M Spfld had a course at one time. Bad time for bees - doubled prices IF you can get them. That double virus killing hive thing they think it is.

Oh and WELCOME~!
frow.gif

Whoops wrong thread I think, I'm not awake!

Anyway, I've finally gotten to see the new flock in person! They've got quite the personalties; one likes to jump on the waterer and try to peek out of the top of the box, I think we're going to have to put some netting on top of the box very soon. We've also got a name for the red-faced one, her name is now Rosie! She's growing in some brown and black feathers on her wings, she's going to be very pretty.

Last edited:
I've been letting the babies eat out of my hand, and I picked up Rosie earlier and started petting her and talking to her. Is that how I'm supposed to get a baby chicken used to people, just do stuff like that? I want her to be a friendly hen when she's older.

Any handling that you can do to associate you with food, pleasure or safety will do the trick. I find that when they are chick, just being held in your warm hand is a good pleasurable experience for them. Finding a spot they like to be stroked is good too. Treats always enhance the interaction, but you should use treats sparingly until they are 4 weeks old. They are growing and they need all of the best nutrition to grow properly. You can mix a little plain yogurt into a little bit of their chick starter crumble and give that to them as a treat. All good, and doesn't really misplace their nutrition too badly.

What you don't want to do is to isolate any one chick from the rest of them for too long. This will only ensure that your favorite chick winds up at the bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom