calling any one from missouri

HI Eden one of my keets was hatch with a deformed foot or leg he can walk but he does not walk on his foot, rather he walks on part of his leg any idea . do you think he will out grow it or what just wanted another opinion thanks

Hi, peanut! While I totally agree with Eden... I had a chick just hatch with curled feet and I splinted them with toothpicks. It is thriving quite well now and is about to have the splints removed due to it's toes now being straight.
On that same note, I had a different chick get splayed legs. I used bandaids to splint it and it died anyway.

So.... It's just a choice to make... Splint and see or cull now and save the heartache if you have to cull later.

I know stuff happens but I am just to soft hearted any way that is what every one tells me I can't stand thought of killing it, I guess I will let nature take it's coarse. Thanks so much for your help. I guess I was not meant to be a guineas farm, even through I grew up on a farm in OK. Are you guys going to JC again this fall ? Thanks again and have a good night

Not much to it. Put the blunt end of the flat toothpicks up closest to the body.
They need to be a bit shorter than the leg. Cut strips of the horse strech bandage wrap and wrap snuggly up and down the 2-3 toothpicks framing the leg. The idea is the splint supports the leg and immobilizes it allowing it to heal - hopefully.

Not being a tuff butt here - but the hard cold reality is if someone raises animals - there will be situations that call for mercy. Birth defects. Accidents. Culling for what ever necessary reason. You really need to summon the fortitude or have a partner that can do the deed as needed or you are being cruel to the animals.

Not much to it. Put the blunt end of the flat toothpicks up closest to the body.
They need to be a bit shorter than the leg. Cut strips of the horse strech bandage wrap and wrap snuggly up and down the 2-3 toothpicks framing the leg. The idea is the splint supports the leg and immobilizes it allowing it to heal - hopefully.

Not being a tuff butt here - but the hard cold reality is if someone raises animals - there will be situations that call for mercy. Birth defects. Accidents. Culling for what ever necessary reason. You really need to summon the fortitude or have a partner that can do the deed as needed or you are being cruel to the animals.

Chicken math has struck for the first time and I couldn't see it in me to turn away such a great chance! This time, some freebie red broiler chicks! We'll be keeping about half of them.

What fun! I acquired a few new freebies this week too. My sister sent over an Americauna with spraddle leg (that's completely normal now) and one of my neighbors sent me 18 Barred Rock crosses today!

It's the really hard and suckiest part of animal husbandry - but it unfortunately is a necessary part of it.
Have to either find a way to reconcile with it being a mercy and necessity, or just do and not think about it.
A good heavy, sharp pair of scissors works very well for chicks.
And it's OK to go have a good cry afterwards.
hugs.gif

It's the really hard and suckiest part of animal husbandry - but it unfortunately is a necessary part of it.
Have to either find a way to reconcile with it being a mercy and necessity, or just do and not think about it.
A good heavy, sharp pair of scissors works very well for chicks.
And it's OK to go have a good cry afterwards.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom