calling any one from missouri

welcome to the MO thread

One of my wyandottes is broody (I gave her eleven eggs) and is scheduled to hatch her batch of mutts on June 7

Ocap,
Thanks for the welcome. And Congrats on the mutts to come! :) you will have to post pics when they hatch
jumpy.gif

Do you know if its common for the wyandotte breed to go broody? I am just curious with our lil gal.
But it sure sounds like yours will be a great momma! What coloring is your broody momma?
Are the eggs something you ordered and snuck under her lil toosh? I love the idea of a sweet chicken family :)
And look forward to your updates! You have an awesome day!

Ocap,
Thanks for the welcome. And Congrats on the mutts to come! :) you will have to post pics when they hatch
jumpy.gif

Do you know if its common for the wyandotte breed to go broody? I am just curious with our lil gal.
But it sure sounds like yours will be a great momma! What coloring is your broody momma?
Are the eggs something you ordered and snuck under her lil toosh? I love the idea of a sweet chicken family :)
And look forward to your updates! You have an awesome day!
broody?
I tried to pick breeds that are prone to be broody, but the bantams seem to be more so, silkie is especially likely.
color?
Silver Penciled
ordered eggs?
no, I just put my favorite rooster (Australorp) in the egg barn and waited three days then collected the biggest eggs over a two day period.

Welcome! Your place sounds lovely! I don't grow "pretties" either, but one would think by looking at my front yard that I just do flower gardening, that is, until you get up close and personal and realize all of the "flowers" are actually edibles, vegetables, and medicinal herbs. And no 'cide chemicals or commercial fertilizers have touched my property since I've owned it (will be two decades next year). Just lots of compost, goat/bunny berries, and composted chickie poo.
big_smile.png
Have you tried growing kale? I started growing Lacinato (Dinosaur) kale for the first time a few years ago (I'd had never even tasted it before) and started out by making kale chips. Turned out I couldn't make them fast enough for my kids (4 boys and a girl). Since then I've grown other varieties of kale as well, and the kids just gobble them up in soups, salads, even fruit smoothies. I've put in almost 30 plants this spring and I don't know if that's still enough to keep everyone supplied! What's nice is that kale will grow all winter long in a hoop house/cold frame, when it can be not only appreciated by us, but is also much enjoyed by the chickens and ducks during the barren winter months. Although we are quite a bit further south than you, we are in that one little area which shares the same USDA Zone as Northern MO/Southern IA. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
big_smile.png

I am a bit jealous I have always wanted to learn how to grow that way but for some reason all my plants look edible and not flowery and pretty.

I'm not sure why but never thought to grow kale all winter along with my lettuce, cauliflower, brussel spouts, cabbage, and broccoli. I didn't even
think about it! Have you ever roughly chopped kale and added it to a soup? Oh man it's good! Instead of cabbage leaves wrap some meat mix
in a kale leaf to pop in the oven for dinner you won't regret it
tongue2.gif
yummy. Hubby and I love the kale chips and we add kale to large leaves of lettuce
for our bread since I have gluten issues and we just don't care for bread anymore.
I did tell hubby I would have to put a cover crop down in half the raised bed area for the chickens and guineas (won't have guineas till next month).
Kale would actually be an excellent choice, I'd like to be able to pull a couple handfuls of grown food for them during the winter.

I'm in Northern MO zone 5 and I have to say I love my hoop houses I use in the winter. I kept winter crops for three years but this past year I didn't. Let me tell you the down sides were noticeably dramatic! About mid February hubby mentioned the vegetables were lacking and I wasn't cooking like in years past. That's when I told him those hoops with plastic actually worked all winter growing that lovely food! The only reason I didn't plant this past year was because we were working on the new house and I hoped we would have moved during the winter but to many problems. Don't think you can't grow in the winter in zone 5 because you can. If you plant a winter crop where it does most of its growing by late November your outside greenhouse/hoop house is just like a refrigerator with food that does not go bad. We do not heat the hoops at all it costs nothing to run, the sun is the only warmth and light we use. Just remember you can't grow peppers and tomatoes it has to be cold crops. Off to buy lots of kale seeds~~

have a great day!

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say hi from Springfield! We just got our first little chickies a few days ago - seven Buff Orpingtons (though we can only have 6 in the city limits - the hatchery gave me extra, so if they all survive I'll have to find a home for the other one). But this site has been my go-to for information over the last couple weeks, so I want to thank you all for all of your advice and chicken raising knowledge!! :)

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say hi from Springfield! We just got our first little chickies a few days ago - seven Buff Orpingtons (though we can only have 6 in the city limits - the hatchery gave me extra, so if they all survive I'll have to find a home for the other one). But this site has been my go-to for information over the last couple weeks, so I want to thank you all for all of your advice and chicken raising knowledge!!
smile.png
welcome to BYC and buff orpingtons

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say hi from Springfield! We just got our first little chickies a few days ago - seven Buff Orpingtons (though we can only have 6 in the city limits - the hatchery gave me extra, so if they all survive I'll have to find a home for the other one). But this site has been my go-to for information over the last couple weeks, so I want to thank you all for all of your advice and chicken raising knowledge!!
smile.png

Welcome Jasmine! We will be near Houston when we finally get moved there next month with BBS Ams, BBS Marans, and a few BR's, and guineas when we get there. Looking forward to getting a garden started there, esp. a hoop house for winter greens!

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Jasmine,
I live just down the road in Lawrence County
smile.png
. Like you this page has been my source of information and what I needed to take that final step of taking on chickens. I have two Buff Orpingtons, two New Hampshire Reds, and one hateful duck that I am not sure of the breed or sex.

Back
Top Bottom