calling any one from missouri

How is everyone doing with the new weather coming through? I hope all the chick's are in for the winter.

I have one girl that began laying when it turned cold. Kind of funny I didn't think any of my girls would start laying until
spring. I am curious since I am new do most of you have eggs through the winter or does it eventually stop as it gets
colder? I know my mother in law uses a light to keep her chickens warmer so she still has egg production. It does taper
off to a few eggs a day. I've put a dog warmer bowl out for their water. Any other suggestions for keeping them
comfortable?

hope everyone has a great weekend =)

Chicks seem ok. I got 2 eggs from my 2 hens and our high was 30ish. Having to thaw their water though. Cant wait until i can get the water heater for their fount.

How is everyone doing with the new weather coming through? I hope all the chick's are in for the winter.

I have one girl that began laying when it turned cold. Kind of funny I didn't think any of my girls would start laying until
spring. I am curious since I am new do most of you have eggs through the winter or does it eventually stop as it gets
colder? I know my mother in law uses a light to keep her chickens warmer so she still has egg production. It does taper
off to a few eggs a day. I've put a dog warmer bowl out for their water. Any other suggestions for keeping them
comfortable?

hope everyone has a great weekend =)

Generally speaking, most breeds will lay right through their first winter. Second autumn they'll molt and take a break during that time. Each subsequent year they'll molt and take ever longer winter breaks. Cold has very little to do with it. It's mostly a function of the day length.

The light most likely isn't to keep the chickens warm but to extend the day because when the light goes off, it won't be producing heat and they don't need it. Or I should say, hopefully she isn't running the light 24/7 since they need a dark period each night.

In reality, we only put them in coops to keep them safe from predators and out of the rain. They're outdoor animals, adaptable to a wide range of climates (except extreme heat) and health wise would be better off sleeping in a tree for the fresh air.

To an extent - they need to be able to stay dry and out of the wind. Too air tight and humidity builds up generating toxic mold in the heat and frostbite in winter. Heat lamps a bad idea once fully feathered out - they need to grow those feathers and acclimate. A power failure and you'll have dead birds. Heat lamps are notorious for starting fires - roasted biddies, barns and houses are not a good thing to wake up to. Light on a timer, 4 am to 8-9 will help keep egg production up. Rest for the girls is not a bad thing tho....

thank you all for the information.

We started a light on a timer because for some reason they chose to stay in the corn crib rather then go in the chicken house.
With the weather turning cold we didn't want to find them froze to something out of our ignorance or tossed by all the strong winds.
The light is on a timer though and goes off about an hour after sundown. It worked they all go in now.
The only warmer we have is for the water. Hubby didn't rig anything but put a proper electrical hookup in the chicken house for the
light and the dog bowl. It doesn't really warm the water but keeps it from freezing over. I hate the idea of the chickens not having
water when they need/want it. Hubby checks twice a day and I check twice a day as well. Crazy I know but first timers here =)

We went through a heavy molting period in the fall. It surprised me because I read many times that chickens do not molt their first year.
Well I'm hear to tell you it wasn't our experience. Poor things looked awful, feathers of all colors were everywhere, and the poor things went crazy preening themselves during that time. So, are you saying even though my hens have just turned six months old they will still start laying eggs even in the winter? Even with the light on an hour I don't think there is enough hours of light for that, but I'm guessing it might be possible? I don't mind the not laying in the winter I've read it is probably healthier since God created them that way.

I'm working on plans for a brooding house I would like thoughts on. My idea is to have the chickens hatch the eggs in the house and have them in their own space until the chicks are old enough to join the flock. Attached to the brooder house would be a run for the mommy chickens to take the chicks out in. Is this a good idea? Or am I separating the chickens to much with the idea?
My goal is to have Cochin and white crested Polish fertilized eggs and chicks to sell in the future.

How do all of you handle your eggs? Do your chickens set or do you incubate?

All the chaos in Ferguson, Delwood and Florissant is right down the street from my house. Businesses less than a half mile away were boarded up like a hurricane was coming yesterday. 24 hour businesses and others that normally are open till 9 or 10 PM were closed by 6.

All the chaos in Ferguson, Delwood and Florissant is right down the street from my house. Businesses less than a half mile away were boarded up like a hurricane was coming yesterday. 24 hour businesses and others that normally are open till 9 or 10 PM were closed by 6.

Hope you ( and your chickens) remain unharmed and safe throughout however long this goes on for!

Back
Top Bottom