calling any one from missouri

here is a good graphic. you stack logs, branches and other wooden debris, leaf matter, sod, compost, anything you cant put in there really then put topsoil on it and it becomes a very drought tolerant raised bed option after it sits for a season, its an old german method

HugelkulturRaisedBed.jpg

Thanks on the hugelkulture. I actually had some down time at work today and googled it. They look pretty cool. Glad that they are working for you and thanks for getting my interest tweeked. I may try that if I can find enough wood to begin one. My yard actually has a low spot across the entire width that's where my raised beds are. That might be a better solution. I know I could drag wood from the park behind my house--people tend to dump yard debris in one area but it is loaded with poison oak.

I have ~15 acres and about 14 of it is forrest, when i heard about hugelkulture gardening i knew it was meant for me and made 2 beds right away, i was working on a 3rd really long one(like 30ft) for strawberries till some stuff happened. they are a long term project but if you have the patience i think they are worth it. one bed i have is just 3 ft wide and 10ft long, it has 2 blueberry plants, it has strawberries, sage, and it had sweetpeas early in the season, tomatoes the rest of the season and i didnt mess with it hardly at all. My other bed had nothing but tomato plants and did really well until some caterpillars raided my plants :hmm

60º and dropping....lots of rain ahead today.
yesterday 1" fell, but beforehand, I let all the chickens out to range, and the youngsters did come back in when I called them as the rain began. This morning I let them out again, and suddenly it began pouring and they all ran in on their own, chickens are smart birds!
Here they are in a non rainy moment working the garden for me....
View attachment 1270509

Your chickens are beautiful -- such bright colors.

I'm from Hamilton, Missouri home of the Missouri Star Quilt Company.
I was wondering if anyone had a white or black silkie rooster they were wanting to get rid of, I am also searching for a Welsummer rooster. Must live withing 35-40 miles of Hamilton.

Hi there and welcome to BYC Missourian!

Hey all I'm new on the forum, but a lifetime poultry owner. In the last few years I've ventures into bobwhite quail and ringneck pheasants for personal use. I now have my Missouri class I wildlife breeders license and am going to expand my two gamebirds flocks and start selling them. I would very much rather prefer selling them at auctions. Does anyone have any info on how consumers like to purchase at auctions it how birds must be consigned a particular way at certain auctions maybe? And what I mean by this is do you bring several lots of multiple birds and auction off each lot, or bring all birds and buyers buy as many as they like? I also eventually plan on expanding and taking my turkey and show cocks to auction as well, but that will be another chapter as my quail and pheasants are my main focus right now. Any Info hints tips and tricks about the auctions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance y'all!

Hi there and welcome to BYC Missourian!

I have ~15 acres and about 14 of it is forrest, when i heard about hugelkulture gardening i knew it was meant for me and made 2 beds right away, i was working on a 3rd really long one(like 30ft) for strawberries till some stuff happened. they are a long term project but if you have the patience i think they are worth it. one bed i have is just 3 ft wide and 10ft long, it has 2 blueberry plants, it has strawberries, sage, and it had sweetpeas early in the season, tomatoes the rest of the season and i didnt mess with it hardly at all. My other bed had nothing but tomato plants and did really well until some caterpillars raided my plants :hmm

Hi there and welcome to BYC Missourian! Thanks for the info on the hugelkulture. Never heard of it before, but looks like it be something I can do with downed limbs so I don't have to burn them.

Back
Top Bottom