calling any one from missouri

It has rained and rained here. Our rain gauge broke the other night when it froze, so I don't know how much rain, but the stream was a roaring river...uncrossable by foot.
The chicks are turning into fluff-balls as they grow their new feathers:
2 fuzzies 2-23 (3 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
I think it quit raining sometime after dusk. I checked the chicken yard this morning with a flashlight and the washout was very small so I'll be able to fix it in the next day or two with some rocks to reinforce it some. Weather looks pretty good for the next 3 days.

JT

I put my new "plastic" rain gauge out after most of the rain. The last gauge I had was glass and it broke last winter. I didn't know you can't keep it out in a freeze. What the heck good is it if you have to take it down. lol

We didn't get any real heavy rain here. I think it was more windy than rainy. I lost several more sheets of tin off the old scale barn. I had to scale the fence to go retrieve one.

Today was a really nice day. I had the coop and pen open all day while I was out doing stuff around the yard. Those birds sure loved it. Lots of green coming up. A few of the young cockerels followed me into the barn. I was running a magnet all over around the barn to pick up any nails, etc. that might have been uncovered by the rain. No matter how many times I look, I can always find something new. Today I found several pieces of old buried chains and a big piece of metal jutting out from under a tree -- probably more tractor parts. I have a tractor seat and other parts in the corner of the property that have trees growing through them.

I was thinking about that hugelkulture..... I have some very large deep ruts in what is supposed to be my garden area. It's where I got my mower and my truck stuck in the mud last year. I think I'm going to start filling it in with branches and stuff and build on that.

Anyone else have moles? Wow, they have done a job around here the past 6 months. I've got tunnels going all over the place. I try to run them over with the mower tires or stomp on them as I find them. If I don't, when it comes time to mow I end up with dirt flying everywhere. I still have a big old groundhog too. It lives under the barn. One of these days I'm going to get it.

@Crooked Chicken well the plastic rain gauge lasted for years out there thru many freezes. My husband said the same thing, how could it break, it's plastic and it's bigger at the top than the bottom. I guess we had the perfect storm, lol. I got an identical one so it can go on the same screws. Yes we have moles all over the yard too. Our young cat likes to ferret them out. We also have a groundhog than lives under our barn, which is my husband's workshop. There is now a floor in there and we hear all kinds of banging around down there under the floor. We wonder what in the heck he's dragging in there. We blame him for everything that's missing, and say one day we'll cut an access opening and shine a light down there.
here's a pic I took of one in the fall. I know there are at least 2.
fall.png

Back
Top Bottom