calling any one from missouri

I love that house, did you build it yourself?

JT

Thanks!

Yep, I built that last winter, in order to make use of a pole that formerly held a satalite dish, I just used scrap wood, a peice of ridge cap metal that came of a shed I tore down and misc “perch” hardware sourced from an old coffee can full of “junk” that I inherited.

It was mostly for looks and I thought it was kind of close to the house, but I figured we might get a family of chickadees or tufted titmouse to call it home.

But come March Mr. Bluebird claimed it so I had to enlarge the holes on the two deeper boxes real quick to accommodate blue birds.

They raised a clutch in the east side, and then a pair of tufted titmouse made a nest in the west box. When the blues came back to raise clutch two and found out they had neighbors... they weren’t real pleased, but they and the titmouse pair raised their babies successfully right next to each other.

The bluebirds ended of raising 3 clutches out of it by the end of summer.

And now this owl has been using it to watch for rodents under a nearby bird feeder, which is okay with us!

So it’s been quite success so far. I think I might still have the plans I drew up for it...if interested let me know and I’ll check.

By the way, I used your roll out nest box plans for reference a couple of months ago, when building mine. Thanks for those!

Thanks!

Yep, I built that last winter, in order to make use of a pole that formerly held a satalite dish, I just used scrap wood, a peice of ridge cap metal that came of a shed I tore down and misc “perch” hardware sourced from an old coffee can full of “junk” that I inherited.

It was mostly for looks and I thought it was kind of close to the house, but I figured we might get a family of chickadees or tufted titmouse to call it home.

But come March Mr. Bluebird claimed it so I had to enlarge the holes on the two deeper boxes real quick to accommodate blue birds.

They raised a clutch in the east side, and then a pair of tufted titmouse made a nest in the west box. When the blues came back to raise clutch two and found out they had neighbors... they weren’t real pleased, but they and the titmouse pair raised their babies successfully right next to each other.

The bluebirds ended of raising 3 clutches out of it by the end of summer.

And now this owl has been using it to watch for rodents under a nearby bird feeder, which is okay with us!

So it’s been quite success so far. I think I might still have the plans I drew up for it...if interested let me know and I’ll check.

By the way, I used your roll out nest box plans for reference a couple of months ago, when building mine. Thanks for those!
I'd be interested in the plans for a cool bird house like that!

I'd love to see the plans, I have some slab wood I've been wanting to build a bird house with so it looks natural like a tree sorta kinda lol.

I'm glad someone got some good out of those plans, your quite welcome.

JT

@jthornton, @MotherOfPeepPeeps , and anyone else....

Okay I found it. I took a bit to try and make what I had a bit more usable and I put it in a PDF and made an article on this site to share it.

Find the article here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-4-plex-bird-house.74577/

Or just use this link for the PDF:
4-Plex BirdHouse.pdf

I made this specifically to slip over an old satellite dish post that was set in concrete, so it might be a bit more of a puzzle than it otherwise would need to be, but in any case it should at least provide a starting point.

Hope it works for you!

Last edited:
We lost power around 3am Friday/Saturday, and had a few limbs down around the house, buck luckily nothing too major.

Also here is a shot from Nov 15, when we had about 4" of snow.... not sure what the blue birds were thinking, but they were all about the house that morning.
img_2451b-jpg.1605053

And here is a shot from last night....
img_2483b-jpg.1605055
Lovely pictures!

Back
Top Bottom