calling any one from missouri

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by missourichickenmama, Jul 18, 2008.

1. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    I’ve looked into martin houses but martins want a certain amount of open space ( I forget the number) but we have too many trees around the house to put up a house for them that they’d use.

The orioles are generally only around for a couple a weeks as they migrate north following the leaf out of the trees.... but if you put out a few orange halves on a fence or some place very visible, it’s likely you’ll pull them in... once the oranges halves are picked clean you can just fill them with grape jelly...

...they can eat a lot, so using oranges gets spendy,
    ... this year I just put out an orange sugar water feeder, and then jelly once they showed up...

...once they’re gone in a couple weeks I’ll miss them and be glad they’re gone at the same time, lol

Keeping them fed can almost be a chore when the whole ‘herd of birds’ 20 or so strong assembles daily...they can go through a lot of jelly!

But their antics are so like tropical birds that it’s like a little vacation while they’re here. :cool:

shawluvsbirds, karenerwin and SueT like this.
  2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I have an old orange in the fruit bowl, I will cut it in half and put it on fence posts then.....

3. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Duck Addict

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
  4. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Good luck to everyone in the bullseye today for severe weather! I've cleaned out the coop early, and battened down the hatches. It just began raining as I finished.
    11.png :fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

karenerwin and OhZark Biddies like this.
  5. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Oh great. :he

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  6. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    I think we might squeak by here in SEMO... I just need a couple more wheelbarrow loads of dirt/compost/potting soil to fill the middle raised bed and get my plants in.

Looking at the radar loop it's passing to the north more than that image shows.
    https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php

JT

SueT and OhZark Biddies like this.
  7. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    Uhhhg... I’m in Kansas City today... will be driving back home this afternoon... looks like it’s gonna be a long drive right through the storms :(

8. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yikes. Well, you'll have to let us know when you get home safe!

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  9. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Not a drop over here, got the raised bed filled... JT is a tired boy. Took 8 wheelbarrow loads per planter all sifted through some 1/2" hardware cloth to get all the crud out.

raised-bed-01.jpg

JT

karenerwin, OhZark Biddies and SueT like this.
  10. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    that's impressive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: