calling any one from missouri

The cornish cross males are all but guarenteed not to - leg or pelvic breaks, heart attacks.... I have heard of some that manage to keep females free ranging and active enough to lay. This particular cross of yours from Cackle I dunno about. They do say not the health issues of the CX (frankenchickens) but I'd be surprised if the males make it that long and/or that they'd breed true. Best place to ask is the Hatchery - they would know thier birds - I'm just winging it.

The cornish cross males are all but guarenteed not to - leg or pelvic breaks, heart attacks.... I have heard of some that manage to keep females free ranging and active enough to lay. This particular cross of yours from Cackle I dunno about. They do say not the health issues of the CX (frankenchickens) but I'd be surprised if the males make it that long and/or that they'd breed true. Best place to ask is the Hatchery - they would know thier birds - I'm just winging it.

well it's July in the ozarks ....
th.gif
Hot !!!!

I know that these are broilers and are going to be killed later on... but I would like to know if this chick has been picked on or something else gave it this odd bald patch:

The picture doesn't do it much justice as the skin appears much more transparent than this.

It's hard to tell, even for sure where that bald patch is. Gads I'm getting blind!
It dosen't look like a wound tho. I do ocassionally get hatchlings that have wonky bald patches where feathers just arent initially. Chicks can and do pick at each other, particularly if they have a white light heat source instead of one of the red heat lamp bulbs. Sometimes they pick feathers looking for higher protien sources and feathers are a source. Sometimes they sense something about a chick and bully/peck at it. Some chicks just are agressive. But like I said, from the picture, it dosen't look like a wound.

If other chicks are picking at that spot (because it's pink/red and a food color) there is a blu-cote spray that litterally paints blue and disinfects wounds to deter picking. Can get it at any farm supply place. That and save-a-chick, wormer and an antibiotic are always in my poutry first aid-kit at the ready.

It's hard to tell, even for sure where that bald patch is. Gads I'm getting blind!
It dosen't look like a wound tho. I do ocassionally get hatchlings that have wonky bald patches where feathers just arent initially. Chicks can and do pick at each other, particularly if they have a white light heat source instead of one of the red heat lamp bulbs. Sometimes they pick feathers looking for higher protien sources and feathers are a source. Sometimes they sense something about a chick and bully/peck at it. Some chicks just are agressive. But like I said, from the picture, it dosen't look like a wound.

If other chicks are picking at that spot (because it's pink/red and a food color) there is a blu-cote spray that litterally paints blue and disinfects wounds to deter picking. Can get it at any farm supply place. That and save-a-chick, wormer and an antibiotic are always in my poutry first aid-kit at the ready.

HI Eden one of my keets was hatch with a deformed foot or leg he can walk but he does not walk on his foot, rather he walks on part of his leg any idea . do you think he will out grow it or what just wanted another opinion thanks

Unfortunately not. Up to you if you choose to cull or not. If a male never likely to breed (not that ud want it to if defect) if female gonna get raped - alot. I have one EE hen with a floppy foot - funky toes she gets around fine tho and if I start hatching more funky toes from her she'll have to go either to a strictly egg or pet home or......Not all defects are genetic. Your's could have broken leg or pelvis or hip out of socket. I have a chick like that. Usually they don't make it and while he's slow growing he's hanging in there and slowly getting around somewhat better. I'm letting him continue on - I won't breed him but if he makes it big enough to hit the pot and not go to waste (or in great distress as that would be cruel) I'll let him. Guinea is also considered a delicacy...just saying.

Some folks would try some kind of cast or splint - using equine leg wrap and some blunted flat toothpicks - but you'd have do change it every couple of days - at least. Dunno if worth the effort to you - wouldn't be to me.

Sorry. But this kind of thing is poutry/livestock reality.

Unfortunately not. Up to you if you choose to cull or not. If a male never likely to breed (not that ud want it to if defect) if female gonna get raped - alot. I have one EE hen with a floppy foot - funky toes she gets around fine tho and if I start hatching more funky toes from her she'll have to go either to a strictly egg or pet home or......Not all defects are genetic. Your's could have broken leg or pelvis or hip out of socket. I have a chick like that. Usually they don't make it and while he's slow growing he's hanging in there and slowly getting around somewhat better. I'm letting him continue on - I won't breed him but if he makes it big enough to hit the pot and not go to waste (or in great distress as that would be cruel) I'll let him. Guinea is also considered a delicacy...just saying.

Some folks would try some kind of cast or splint - using equine leg wrap and some blunted flat toothpicks - but you'd have do change it every couple of days - at least. Dunno if worth the effort to you - wouldn't be to me.

Sorry. But this kind of thing is poutry/livestock reality.

Back
Top Bottom