calling any one from missouri

Hey fellow Missourians

WE all are aware of salmonella but I just got on Tractorsupply.com and noticed a link to the CDC" salmonella outbreaks" so went on it..

.Dismayed to find out of 2 kinds of Samonella ..... Missouri seemed to lead in ppl sick
One lead in number of ppl getting sick in the whole country another we were 3rd.!
!
The other scarey fact was that 97% of ppl who got sick had bought chicks from.... HATCHERIES I didnt know this.!..
The biggest strain for Mo and how many ppl got sick topped all states was infantile? I believe it was ... but maybe the large numbers here is because ESTES HAtchery who supplies many stores LIKE Tractor Supply with chicks (don't know for a pure fact..they do but I THINK my clerk this spring said yes when I heard about ESTES ) had A big outbreak last year.
Gone now.

Granted no one died but you can get terribly ill from this
.I hatch my own eggs already and don't like to buy chickens or chicks in case of some problem but now I am sure I wont unless Im desperate to do so.. will do eggs....

Maybe im paranoid ( its possible). But more on my mind as just got a huge infection this Wed in 4 hours time. finger swelled like a sausage .... believe it or not...... finger snagging on wire in my run
Took antibiotics, a doc visit and a tetnus shot so i guess im even more paranoid right now about pen and chicken poo germs. AND I had washed with soap immediately which rarely do until I come in later

Have t o say I DO get scratched daily from some part of the chicken wire so guess not a bad % when you think of a few years scratches and just ONE bad infection....
Still not getting rid of m y CHOOKS though......LOL
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Just being more careful.

Last edited:
I am looking for at least 2 hens, would love it if they are soon ready to lay. my husband wants silkies. and we would like a breed that lays a green egg. We are in columbia but we can travel. I looked on the forum here and did not see much close.
thanks for any help

Last edited:
My hubby likes silkies and we have several bantams already
We don't need any more roosters we have to many now
This is our first year and we have bantams and we think amercanas we started with 10 one died and we had 6 roosters

My hubby likes silkies and we have several bantams already
We don't need any more roosters we have to many now
This is our first year and we have bantams and we think amercanas we started with 10 one died and we had 6 roosters
Jeff City may be closer but a friend of mine specializes in Silkies , frizzles and sizzles but mostly Silkies Belongsto the Silkie Club
Shes in Desoto which is a suburb of STL Id say 2 1/2 hours from you [email protected] She has every color.She has been know to meet ppl if she has a large delivery of chicks more your direction.Maybe you could see and she could add you on too Just a thought

I raise pure Lavender Amercaunas

My Silkie friend told me all Silkies are Bantams
LAV Ams egg and my lav am roo

Last edited:
I am looking for at least 2 hens, would love it if they are soon ready to lay. my husband wants silkies. and we would like a breed that lays a green egg. We are in columbia but we can travel. I looked on the forum here and did not see much close.
thanks for any help
Also look on Facebook Chicken Swap Missouri

River hills poultry swap at Silex is September 14.

thanks for any help
You might try the above swap.
Also the Missouri Poultry Yearbook. I'm sure you could find a breeder close to you.
http://mda.mo.gov/animals/pdf/poultry_yearbook.pdf

Back
Top Bottom