calling any one from missouri

Hi! In the south KC area. Looking to expand my flock, and I was wondering if anyone knew of layers for sale, instead of chicks. We've gotten chicks the last two years, but I'd kind of like to get some hens, or good sized pullets at least. Any suggestions?
looking for a good home for my silver penciled wyandottes, two trios, I bought them as chicks from Duane Urch last April. send a private message if you are interested

Hi! In the south KC area. Looking to expand my flock, and I was wondering if anyone knew of layers for sale, instead of chicks. We've gotten chicks the last two years, but I'd kind of like to get some hens, or good sized pullets at least. Any suggestions?
craigslist. I am always looking at all the chickens on the list. Almost always can find some orpingtons or something else along that line

Until last night, I never killed the raccoons. I always trapped and relocated them. We have a state park about 20-25 minutes away, down in the Amarugia hills where I'd release them. The only time I ever tried to kill a predator was one year when we had a coyote come back FOUR TIMES in one day. My hound dog ultimately took care of her for me... she had already dodged my bullets.

No, last night I was so upset and angry, and the last coon destroyed my live trap, so I didn't feel like I had any choice. If I didn't kill it it was absolutely going to come back and get after my other chickens.
Quote:
I totally respect the decision to relocate predators but... I don't see it as an option in my world. They carry disease and kill my livestock... They can be killed too. Unless of course it's an endangered species but I have yet to have that happen. It's mostly possums at my place. Coons have come too but this year it's been possums.
You did the right thing.

Relocating is a bad idea.
This is a quote from MO Dept. of Conservation.

~~ Moving an animal can spread disease. Also, a strange animal coming into an established local population of the same species ... can upset the local group’s social order and possibly its health. Further, a relocated animal does not know where to find food or other resources and may likely starve to death. Finally, moving the animal might simply create a problem for someone else at the new location. You should also know that most federal, state, and local agencies prohibit the release of wildlife on lands they own or manage (including Department properties). For these reasons, we recommend killing the animal."

I'm relocating to St Louis, anyone have chickens in the city limits? I started a STL topic. Anyone in the University City or Tower Grove area? Thanks!
A lot of people in Tower Grove have chickens, actually all over South St. Louis.
You should join our Backyard chicken meetup group.
http://www.meetup.com/stlouischickens/

I'm starting work March 17th in STL, hopefully I'll find a house sometime around mid April? Looking now. Seems like you have to buy a permit for almost anywhere, which kinda sucks (they seem expensive- $150+ inspections that are $75 each year? ) I've been spoiled here in Wichita you can have up to 12 with a permit, and the permit is only $20 or so.

Sorry I didn't see your post until this morning. St. Louis city allows 4 animals without a permit. 10 with a kennel permit.
Kirkwood, Clayton and Webster Groves don't require permits. University City is very unfriendly to chicken owners. Ordinances allow them with a permit but they aren't issuing permits and only 4 permits can be active at any time.
In the 92 cities in St. Louis county, the rules are all over the board.

Hello, Missouri. I will be moving some whare in the next 12 mo. I just need out oa Phx, Az. What I am looking for is a yes to chickens and roosters, fishing and hunting. I found a place out side of Vienna. Is anyone formiler with the area? I assume the standard line up of predictors. The area is about 15 miles north and west. I lived in St. Louis when a kids, in the 60's, and Gas light Square was the place to go. Left just before its decline.

I have a small flock of 10 girls, 1 bee hive, and at this time 1 small dog, better know end as fast food delivery to the coyotes, bob cats and mountain lions.
MO has coyotes, bobcats, black bears and the occasional mountain lion. They were extirpated from MO in the 1920s but they're recolonizing the state. There have been 40 confirmed mountain lion sightings since 1994. Including a recent sighting in St. Louis county.
More prevalent poultry predators are raccoons, opossums, dogs, weasels, hawks, etc..

Last edited:
Does any one have silkie eggs? I have one black silkie. My other little chick died last year right after hatching. The lady I got the few eggs last year got rid of her rooster right after giving me the eggs. Very frustrating. I wanted more. They don't even have them available to order from Dickey Bubs or Orscheln's.

I live in Beaufort.

I have chicks for sale. I am in Sullivan MO

Hi everyone I am trying to get my run ready for chicken. I was wondering how many chickens you can put in a 40ft by 16ft run. I will have a coop also.

Hi everyone I am trying to get my run ready for chicken. I was wondering how many chickens you can put in a 40ft by 16ft run. I will have a coop also.
I have read that you need 10 square feet per large fowl, so you can have 64 according to that measurement. That always seemed a little crowded to me, start with 25 and see how they do.

I have read that you need 10 square feet per large fowl, so you can have 64 according to that measurement. That always seemed a little crowded to me, start with 25 and see how they do.
ok thanks I was thinking 20 to 30 but wanted others opinions. I am new to all of this

Back
Top Bottom