calling any one from missouri

This thread does go stale at times but has been fairly active lately.
I have a story to share.
Last year, at my urging, the local feed store at the northern fringe of our large metro area had a chick day. It was hugely successful. This year they doubled their order.
They had 400 chicks and half were gone early on chick day but weeks later they still had about 30 when I visited Friday and they were so over them.
They had marked them down to $2 each. I asked if they'd make a deal on the whole lot but the manager wasn't there that day. I basically just wanted to rescue them since they weren't being well cared for.
I went back to the feedstore Saturday afternoon about 2 o'clock. They close at 3. I was standing by the chicks trying to talk customers into taking some home. There were 21 left and the feed store so wanted to be rid of them. I talked one guy into buying the last 3 barred rocks. The manager and clerk came over and put his chicks in a box and took the heat lamp away. They're not open on Sunday and I wondered why they took the heat source away for the weekend. They then packed all the rest of the chicks into a box while I was blabbering to a woman about the amazing aspects of chickenry. I said to her that apparently someone else had bought the rest of them. I went to the register and asked, "who bought the others?" They said, "you did". I said, "we didn't even discuss a price nor did I tell you I wanted to buy them (today)". The manager said, 18 chicks = $15. I'm now the proud owner of 3 week old white leghorns, australorps and my first ever bantams, those are black wyandottes. Hopefully some of our local meetup group wants some of these breeds. They'll be in much better care here than they were there.

Good thing you asked because I might have just walked out thinking someone had them. Hopefully they'll do "Chick Days" again next year but maybe they'll stagger the orders. Fluffy baby chicks are probably easier to sell (the cute factor) than 3 week old, partially feathered chicks. Maybe you can keep them until Point of Lay and sell started pullets.

CG

I'm in the Springfield area, too...specifically, Marshfield.
We go to the Marshfield swap meet on the 2nd Saturday of the month. We should have some silkies in a few weeks.Hoping to have some before the swap meet in a couple of weeks but I am not sure if we can get them in time. I put three dozen in the incubator yesterday and looking to get more in a week or two. We usually sell them for $2.00 a chick depending on how much we have pay for the eggs. If you are ever at the Marshfield swap meet we will be in a white shuttle bus and have a blue canopy up.

We will be a Jacob's Cave to Look/Buy on Thursday and possibly to sell/look/buy on Saturday. I'm excited about going we have not been before and I am looking forward to getting some flock. We are building our coops and runs this week.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say "hi." I have been a lurker for awhile now. BYC is addicting even if you don't have chickens yet. Finally bought a nice piece of land and hatching eggs should arrive next week. Wish me luck!

Just wanted to introduce myself and say "hi." I have been a lurker for awhile now. BYC is addicting even if you don't have chickens yet. Finally bought a nice piece of land and hatching eggs should arrive next week. Wish me luck!
welcome to BYC and good luck on the eggs, what breed are you hatching?

I bought some Barred Rocks from fellow BYCer Fred's Hens. I wanted to work with a heritage breed and his eggs are reasonably priced. I do feel the pull to acquire a multitude of different varieties but I would like to begin and work with one breed initially. If my hatch is not successful then I would be very interested in working with someone locally as a breeding partner of sorts.

Quote:
We will be a Jacob's Cave to Look/Buy on Thursday and possibly to sell/look/buy on Saturday. I'm excited about going we have not been before and I am looking forward to getting some flock. We are building our coops and runs this week.
Good luck selling. I have some chicks but not sure I want to try selling them at Jacob's Cave. I certainly don't want or need any more so it's probably a good thing for me not to go. LOL

Welcome to BYC and the MO thread. Good Luck on hatching your shipped eggs from Fred. He does have some great stock. (haven't hatched his myself, but I used to read the Barred Rock thread. I concentrate on EEs).

CG

We have about six hundred chicks and we are most likely getting more tomorrow and Thursday. We are trying to raise money to get our boys autism dogs so we need to take every chance we can to sell. We need three dogs and they are $13.000 each. We have just never been to JC and want to look and see how it is all set up before we make the final decision on if we want to travel that far to sell. It is like an hour and half drive for us.

Back
Top Bottom