calling any one from missouri

Thanks Edencamp and no problem. Thanks for the information. I'm quite a bit north of I70 up in Macon county, so I'm wondering if the schedule would be the same. I'm wanting to keep my flock as 'natural' as possible without going completely organic with them while keeping them healthy at the same time.

We have to take one of our cats in to the vets next month for rabies/leukemia booster so I'm going to ask him about a schedule for our area and what he would recommend. I'm hoping its the Valbazen. He takes care of sheep and goats so I'm hoping he is chicken wise also.

Hi Val,

Many of your questions I can't answer but I have a couple suggestions.
Finding your birds: see about locating a list of the show bird owners from your local fair or state fair. They should have a list from the previous years winners if
nothing else. Those people will be able to get you in the direction of the birds you are looking for. Me, I didn't know this until I started looking into show
info.
Next suggestion: I have Cochin and found the "Cochin International" website on the internet. On their website they have a list of breeders. Find the breeds
you are looking for this way as well. When they are close to you it gives you the opportunity to visit their farm and see how they keep their birds.

As far as extra roos/ do you have a garden? or neighbors with a garden? Hubby made me a 2 foot wide and 4 foot long tractor (I guess you would call it)
I am going to place a rooster or two inside to scratch up the weeds in my garden. Hence the reason it is narrow to fit between the rows. I get fertilization, bug
control and weed control all in a couple chickens =) if you do something like this make sure its early in the morning and move the tractor each day. They can't
stay in it all day because the heat will get to them.

hope you find the breeds you are wanting =)

thank you.
I did something similar towards the end of the year in my garden beds. Only problem was the fencing was all around instead of open at the bottom. The original tractor was also a little too big for my beds. That's when I thought about the idea for the smaller one. I am putting a large garden into the ground this year and figure it will help me a lot. I've also found that I will be getting my MIL chickens which means more workers for me =)

Hey there Melinda in Columbia! We live about an hour and twenty minutes north of you. A small town called Shelbina. I'm in Columbia a couple times a month its where I like to do all my shopping. I watched a couple youtubes by someone that lives in Columbia. Don't recall the name at the moment but if I run across again I'll post.
I haven't found a non-gmo feed/seed in the area yet have you looked or are you feeding regular?
Great to see you on here
smile.png

I'm wondering if heirloom seed wouldn't fit the bill for what you are looking for. If you look up the definition of heirloom seed on the Burpee Seed catalog site (http://www.burpee.com/heirloom-seeds-and-plants) It says these are seeds that have remained unmodified and have continued to produce the same traits year after year of planting for over 100 years.

If that is so, they sure were not doing GMO until recent history so the heirloom seeds might be pure and unaltered.

I'm seeing kale seed and golden bantam corn as two examples. The golden bantam is sweet corn, in fact I plan to grow it this year, but there is a large list of available seeds and plants from Burpee that are heirloom quality.

yes heirloom seed would be great if I could get it in 50 lb. bags =)
I don't feed a normal layer feed or anything like that because they all have gluten in them. I can't have any kind of wheat which crosses into the eggs.
So I keep a look out for non-gmo seed for my birds. Right now I get the gmo kind from MFA but if I find anyone near me that has non-gmo I would love
to change over.

I've never looked at Burpee for heirloom seeds I've always gotten mine from Baker Creek they are out of Mansfield Mo. www.rareseeds.com . I've bought all my seeds from them
for many years now. This year I have ordered extra so I can plant some for my chickens next winter.

Love the picture of the dog and bird that's awesome =)

Back
Top Bottom