calling any one from missouri

Hi everyone in SW MO! Tomorrow is the annual Chicken Pageant in Diamond, MO. It's a regular feature of their Gem City Days and is a lot of fun. Gem City Days is a nostalgic small town event, and for the pageant, residents of all ages enter their chickens dressed in costumes. Chicken related prizes donated by a local feed store are offered, and the event benefits a local charity. There will be a parade at 10, and the pageant begins at noon, after a talent show. I will be there to take photos of the chickens and post them on BYC, Maybe we can encourage BYCers to dress up their chickens for an online pageant right here.

Here'a a pic from last year:
Did you get pictures? I saw this too late.

I've got three barred rock chickens: two hens and a rooster. My roommate and I got them as chicks last March. And we got a small coop kit that seems a bit small, but workable. They roam free in the yard mostly. :)

We're still not sure what to do about winterizing the coop.

How many/what kind do you have?

I've got three barred rock chickens: two hens and a rooster. My roommate and I got them as chicks last March. And we got a small coop kit that seems a bit small, but workable. They roam free in the yard mostly. :)

We're still not sure what to do about winterizing the coop.

How many/what kind do you have?

your coop for winter should work. try and picture what it will look like with snow, how will the doors open when you need to feed and water, I had trouble with snow after a little freezing rain

your coop for winter should work. try and picture what it will look like with snow, how will the doors open when you need to feed and water, I had trouble with snow after a little freezing rain
That is good advice. You can plastic or tarp over the side or sides where the prevailing bad weather comes from. Leaving the East side open. The biggest thing is to make sure that there are no drafts blowing on the roost. They need airflow, but not drafts on the roost.
I have my project breed Heritage RIR, and a variety in my laying coop. The layers are also where I am going to breed more blue and green egg layers. Including Ameraucana, production reds, ISA, Barred Rock, Leghorns white and brown, OE, EE, BSL, Cream Legbar, Sapphire, and one barn yard mix. I have 32 hens
Several cockerels with several about to be gone as I have made my selections. I am keeping one HRIR, one Ameraucana, one EE.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom