calling any one from missouri

Hello Everyone. My wife (Samantha) and I have been behind the scenes reading up. We were new to chickens in general and just received our first 20 chickens around one year ago. It was about august 2016 when I got interested. It was that one blue egg in the basket of all brown eggs that sparked the chicken quest for me. I am very determined to add a splash of color to those laying boxes. I will be receiving the next order of 15 chicken in @10 days. there are a few more colors to still pick up and now that we are on BYC, there may be a few more.

Anyways I was born and raised outside St Louis in St. Charles . But currently reside in the small town of Shell Knob, Mo. @40 east of Branson, on the other side of Table Rock Lake. Or in general Southwest Missouri.

Scott

welcome !!!!

Glad you found us.

Hello Everyone. My wife (Samantha) and I have been behind the scenes reading up. We were new to chickens in general and just received our first 20 chickens around one year ago. It was about august 2016 when I got interested. It was that one blue egg in the basket of all brown eggs that sparked the chicken quest for me. I am very determined to add a splash of color to those laying boxes. I will be receiving the next order of 15 chicken in @10 days. there are a few more colors to still pick up and now that we are on BYC, there may be a few more.

Anyways I was born and raised outside St Louis in St. Charles . But currently reside in the small town of Shell Knob, Mo. @40 east of Branson, on the other side of Table Rock Lake. Or in general Southwest Missouri.

Scott
My dad was born and raised in St. Charles. My grandpa was a dairy farmer there. They lived on first street. I don't know if it was called that back then.

My dad was born and raised in St. Charles. My grandpa was a dairy farmer there. They lived on first street. I don't know if it was called that back then.

Yep downtown St. Charles 1st street had a lot of farms closer to the river was black soil. That kind of dirt is like gold where I'm at. This is something I plan on the flock helping us solve once there run is built.

My Backyard Chickens 101 class is scheduled at St Louis Community College (Meramec campus) Science West building, Room 108, March 25, 10AM-2PM $35 (less for seniors)
Call 314 984-7777 to register.
Former attendee - "Great class! If you are thinking about having chickens or are getting chicks this spring, we highly recommend it!!"

My Backyard Chickens 101 class is scheduled at St Louis Community College (Meramec campus) Science West building, Room 108, March 25, 10AM-2PM $35 (less for seniors)
Call 314 984-7777 to register.
Former attendee - "Great class! If you are thinking about having chickens or are getting chicks this spring, we highly recommend it!!"

What a great idea! I love it! Did SLCC come up with this, or did you propose it to them?

What a great idea! I love it! Did SLCC come up with this, or did you propose it to them?

Several years ago, SLCC contacted our 800 member backyard chicken meetup group (https://www.meetup.com/stlouischickens/) of which I'm an organizer to see if anyone could present a class.
I told them about my lifelong (off and on) experience with chickens in various climates and working with birds in the tropics, working in the commercial feed industry and many years experience in adult education.
I've been doing this class on all campuses and all semesters for 5 or 6 years. I also teach an advanced class and have done the college for kids program in the summer presenting all sorts of nature classes (poultry, honey bees/native pollinators, wild birds, fungi/mushrooms, gardening).
I presented a seminar on 'Starting Right with Heritage Poultry' at the Midwest Heritage Poultry Conference and classes at Gateway Greening, Missouri Botanical Garden, Humane Society, Williams-Sonoma and other green venues, as well as presenting to various city councils who are considering allowing chicken keeping.

Hello all! I am from central Missouri, near a little town called Centertown! We have 17 chickens total, only my third year with chickens and so much to learn still! I will be doing my first slaughter flock this year, hoping to send 30 BOs to freezer camp for my family of four! I am wondering if anyone on here has a resource of whole grains for me to check out. I want to make my own feed, but there is not much bulk selection around here that is non-GMO. I am looking for a supply of big bags of Corn, Soybean, Oats, Alfalfa Meal, Wheat, and Split Peas. I will drive up to 2 hours away to get these, the Corn and Soybeans MUST be non-GMO. (sorry not sorry Monsanto).

PLEASE help!
Thanks!

Hello all! I am from central Missouri, near a little town called Centertown! We have 17 chickens total, only my third year with chickens and so much to learn still! I will be doing my first slaughter flock this year, hoping to send 30 BOs to freezer camp for my family of four! I am wondering if anyone on here has a resource of whole grains for me to check out. I want to make my own feed, but there is not much bulk selection around here that is non-GMO. I am looking for a supply of big bags of Corn, Soybean, Oats, Alfalfa Meal, Wheat, and Split Peas. I will drive up to 2 hours away to get these, the Corn and Soybeans MUST be non-GMO. (sorry not sorry Monsanto).

PLEASE help!
Thanks!
Howdy Neighbor (JeffCity/Brazito area).
Don't have an answer to the grain question for you...I buy from MFA their Layer's Pellets...but I just wanted to say hello.

CG

Hi all, I don't think I have said hello here, since I'm not subscribed to the forum yet. So, Hi!!!
I am in Kansas City. I'm so new to chickens, I don't have any yet, or a coop for that matter, lol.
I have a large building with a stall and lean to that will eventually be my coop. It first needs to be roofed. Since it will cost quite a bit to fix up, I'm going to fix up my old pigeon loft for a coop. It is 8x8. I want to get Barred Hollands but the only place I can find them is is in La. She only ships eggs and I won't be able to get an incubator this year. Hubs wants to see if I'm going to be successful before buying me a ton of extras. I need to get the coop built in the loft and build a nice secure pen first. I see lots of pics of the outside of coops but not many on the inside. Im going to go by the library this Saturday and get a couple of books.
I look forward to getting to know y'all!

Back
Top Bottom