calling any one from missouri

I'm in Missouri, transplant from Minnesota (ahhh....home....) we live on some acreage outside of Kansas City. Dogs, chickens, kids, working on goats and cattle!

I'm in Missouri, transplant from Minnesota (ahhh....home....) we live on some acreage outside of Kansas City. Dogs, chickens, kids, working on goats and cattle!
welcome
frow.gif

Oats Clan, Welcome to BYC and the MO forum !
On page 772 of this forum, there is info about a Backyard Chickens 101 class at St. Louis Comm. College. It's being held on March 25. The # given is 314 984 7777. The instructor and BYC member is chickencanoe. If you are near St. Louis, this could be a great source of everything you need information wise. Good luck with your poultry adventure!
I second this. ChickenCanoe is experienced and helpful with raising chickens. He also has a cool rare breed black Penedescas.

I am a fresh transplant to Missouri from California, where I have wanted to raise chickens for the last seven years and never had the opportunity due to different life circumstances. But now I'm here! In MISSOURI! We are temporarily in Carrollton until we move to Lexington in June, which is where I will FINALLY get to raise my chickens.

I have found the one Meetup group in St. Louis, but hoping to find another, possibly closer? I spend most of my time here daydreaming about my future coop and future breeds.

Nice to "meet" you. :)

Marlena

Hi Oats Clan. Welcome. I'm one of the organizers of the St. Louis Backyard Chickens Meetup group.
We're scheduling a meetup soon. What would be a good day and time so we can assure we'll make it convenient.
Are you talking about Carrollton in North St. Louis County? That's right down the road from me.

I'd love to talk to you about breed selection for Missouri. One of my favorite subjects.

Last edited:
Hi Oats Clan. Welcome. I'm one of the organizers of the St. Louis Backyard Chickens Meetup group.
We're scheduling a meetup soon. What would be a good day and time so we can assure we'll make it convenient.
Are you talking about Carrollton in North St. Louis County? That's right down the road from me.

I'd love to talk to you about breed selection for Missouri. One of my favorite subjects.

I'm in Carroll County, Carrollton. Didn't realize there were two. I am planning on going to the event on the 25th. I don't mind driving to talk about chickens. :)

Breeds I'm curious...do we need the cold weather hardy breeds in Missouri? And are the cold hardy breeds going to tolerate the humidity and heat of the summer?

I'm in Carroll County, Carrollton. Didn't realize there were two. I am planning on going to the event on the 25th. I don't mind driving to talk about chickens.
smile.png

Breeds I'm curious...do we need the cold weather hardy breeds in Missouri? And are the cold hardy breeds going to tolerate the humidity and heat of the summer?

Excellent question. MO climate makes it tough for chicken keeping. Keep in mind that chickens handle cold much better than heat. I've lost birds to heat here but never to cold down to -20F.
I'll see you at class on the 25th.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom