calling any one from missouri

Hey everyone, what'sup? I can't believe how long it's been since I posted on this thread. My bad. Hope everyone is ok and enjoying this wonderful soggy spring we are having. I'm still waiting to getting our garden tilled and hopefully my spring planting done. Flock is doing fine. Hatched 11 OEGB chicks the end of Feb in the Brinsea incubator my husband got me for Christmas then a broody hen turned around and hatched out 8 more for me last month. Up to my knees in chicks right now and loving it!

For Japanese Beetles, I planted a few knock-out roses. I found out a few years ago with my first knock-out rose that Japanese Beetles LOVE them so much they tend to leave everything else alone. And since I don't eat the roses, it doesn't bother me to plant them as a bait plant. When the JB start hitting the roses, I go out a few times a day with a coffee can that has a couple inches of water in the bottom, and go around knocking the beetles off the rose bushes and into the can. When they hit the water and their wings get wet, they are stuck there. Then I just dump the contents of the can into a shallow feed tray and the chickens and ducks make short work of them. I don't spray or put down any '-cides' of any kind...and haven't since the day I bought this place over 20 years ago, so I know where you are coming from.
Is there any reason you use the knock-out type of rose over any other variety? I'm thinking about adding more roses to my flowerbed (it's got the only living things that don't have to pay for themselves in one way or another... but I guess they do, in visual aesthetics, LOL!), and if there's something about the knock-out variety over another kind, I'll go with it, instead.

(Edited for clarity)

(And, yes, it's been like almost forever since I've commented on here, but I do try to keep up)

Last edited:
Welcome to all the new peeps! I've been absent fie a while. This school year has about done me in. Between my son's activities and starting my own small business along with my full time job, I haven't done much recreational reading. Going to try to give myself a set amount of time to do just that.

Anyone else here in swmo get hit with the tornado that went through Goodman?
Not this time. I got to do the one that took out Lant's feed eF-4-ef-5 that went around 73 miles I think in about '08

Hey Fellow Missourians!

Coming to you to ask if there are any of you in the SWMO area that have the tools for caponizing cockerels. Its a bit of a long story, but i've researched and am confident in my ability to caponize a cockerel who's only way to live is to be done... I've found the kits on ebay etc. for about $40 but it is hard to justify spending on this particular cockerel who has already cost me too much. I'd just love if a fellow BYC'er would loan me the kit, I'd return it promptly and sterilized. If no one nearby has the kit, i suppose I'll buy one and Y'all can borrow it if you need! :)

Ashly,
Springfield Area

Southeast Missouri here. I am located 20 miles south of Poplar Bluff, Missouri. I have been a member of the forum for a while, reading mostly. I dont have that many chickens YET, but I can already see I am addicted. I have 5 hens, *unsure what some of them are*, 6 NHR pullets, 2 RIR roos, and a Black rooster. ( I am thinking austrolorp, but not sure ). I have pictures of them posted in one of the forums asking what they are.

I am also addicted to BYC!!!! I have to check several times throughout my day to see whats been posted. /img/smilies/smile.png I love it.

I live in Essex! So glad to see some members from my neck of the woods!

I'm in St. Charles, MO. I went back in this post a few pages and saw people all around the area. It is a fun read.

Right now I have 28 eggs in an incubator ( my first time hatching eggs) and will candle them at 7 days old tomorrow. Very excited.

Hi everyone, I'm in the small town of marshfield, it's about 25 miles east of Springfield. I'm new to byc & also to hatching, just started my very first batch Tuesday night, so exciting! Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Hi everyone, I'm in the small town of marshfield, it's about 25 miles east of Springfield. I'm new to byc & also to hatching, just started my very first batch Tuesday night, so exciting! Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Good luck with your incubation. This is also my first time trying to hatch my own eggs. When you have Cackle Hatchery in our backyards, I haven't thought about hatching my own. What breeds are you hatching?

Back
Top Bottom