calling any one from missouri

Anyone near the KC area planning to place an order with either McMurray, Metzer, or Ideal this spring? Would like to order American Buff goslings to add to my duck flock but don't meet the minimum order requirements.

Anyone near the KC area planning to place an order with either McMurray, Metzer, or Ideal this spring? Would like to order American Buff goslings to add to my duck flock but don't meet the minimum order requirements.
Heartland Hatchery sells goslings and comes through Bonner Springs or Kearney on regular chick days starting in February. They sell a lot of bird breeds they don’t list on their website too. Might be worth giving Alan a call if you can’t find someone to split a shipment with.

Heartland Hatchery sells goslings and comes through Bonner Springs or Kearney on regular chick days starting in February. They sell a lot of bird breeds they don’t list on their website too. Might be worth giving Alan a call if you can’t find someone to split a shipment with.
My ducks are all from Alan. He was such a great help selecting my ducklings. Too bad he doesn't have American Buffs. =(

Oh darn, got my best Japanese from him too. Tell him you need them real bad, maybe he can work magic. How many birds are you from an order? Not that I need an excuse to get more chickens... just curious. ;)
I may beg and plead... who knows, right? Ideally just 1, maybe 2 if I can get both females. Planning to get 4 welsh harlequin ducks from Heartland this year too. Duck math is just as bad as chicken math it seems.

I may beg and plead... who knows, right? Ideally just 1, maybe 2 if I can get both females. Planning to get 4 welsh harlequin ducks from Heartland this year too. Duck math is just as bad as chicken math it seems.
There’s always room for one more duck... or 5. My neighbors already think I’m nuts, but gosh I want ducks too!

HI, Hope you are making through the cold spell, hope this is the worst of it for the winter as temps ease going toward the weekend.

Haven't been on the computer much for awhile overtime at work daily and too busy at work to jump on there. If I ever get the coop and run finished it will be party time! I boarded up the someday windows for the winter. They of course were secure with hardware cloth. It's been a year of fighting bronchitis and the after affects-- I'm tired of it.. Had the flu over the NY weekend and have it again, not official till the doc this am.

My chicks are amazing. 1 gave me a Christmas Eve present, her first pretty little blue egg and the 3nd EE her first pink egg yesterday (frozen and cracked) , nothing yet from the barred rock. I managed to get 3 edible eggs and had scrambled eggs as the my 1st meal of the year. The rest have been frozen even though since stuck home I've been checking them every few hours. I still have the roo but hope not for much longer, though I will miss him -- he is so sweet. None of them like gloves, they peck at them and the roo won't let me tough him with them on, So funny.

Will be on here later but have to get ready to head to the doc's and have enough time to replace the frozen chick water.

Hi Jeria,
I haven't been online in a long time either. Just too darn busy! Sorry to hear that you have the flu. So far my family has been able to avoid it. My daughter did end up in the hospital January 2nd through the January 4th. She had had surgery December 20th to have some lymph nodes removed for biopsy. Everything turned out great as far as the biopsy results are concerned, but she got cellulitis at the surgery site (Left groin area). So we spent 5 hours in the ER on January 2nd. They admitted her to the hospital, but it was so full that her "room" turned out to be the hallway of the ER until 11AM the next morning. At that time they moved her to the Cardiac Cath lab! They sent up temporary rooms there because they were so full! That 2nd day they said there were still 63 people in ER waiting for a room in the hospital. Flu has hit our area really hard!! My daughter was on IV antibiotics every 6 to 8 hours around the clock for 3 days and then discharged with oral antibiotics every 6 hours around the clock for the next 5 days. However, we are all really glad that she is out of the hospital!
I am jealous that some of you had temps in the 30's and 40's today. Our high was 22 degrees. I have been having a hard time getting my eggs collected before they freeze also. It has also been keeping the chickens and turkeys in liquid water. It keeps freezing so fast! My egg production is down and I think it is mainly due to decrease in water that they are drinking. 1 coop has a heated dog water bowl in it but the other 2 coops and the turkey coop don't have electricity. So I have been carting water out for them in the morning, but by the time I get home from work, it is already getting dark again and the birds have gone to roost so there isn't any point in taking out fresh water because it will just be frozen by morning.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm and safe in these freezing temperatures!

JT I was hoping to get sprouts started for this year, some for my cat also. It's been an insanity fall with good intentions gone by the wayside. Thanks for reminder about sprouts, I have to try a run to the natural food store today. Wheat berries (seeds) will be on my list.

HI Karen, sorry about your daughter. Happy for you that she is OK> Have been through the lymph node scare as mine have been swollen since bronchitis in October. The ultra sound came back OK. My doc last week most of their patients had flu or upper respiratory symptoms. It was in the 20's with a stiff wind most of the day, they are saying freezing rain this am, haven't looked outside yet the dogs are still asleep. Cat has a tiny mouse that she is chasing around my bedroom as I type, I think she considers them toys. At least she is doing her job.

I'm considering checking into some sort of solar solution to keep water thawed next year. I'd take water out and it would be frozen solid in a couple hours. I was home all week from work since sick or they would have gotten water first thing in am and then just before dark. FF would turn into solid chunks before they could eat it so went back to just dry feed until it warms up a bit. A few times I heated the FF up in the microwave chunked it up small pieces as freezing seemed to dry it out and dumped it on the floor of the coop and they attacked it. They will only eat the dry food if I dump it out on the floor, they don't touch the feeder, such goofy birds...

Back
Top Bottom