calling any one from missouri

We have been enjoying the warm weather, while back east it's snowing! I hope spring is here to stay. I have been training Moonshine, my little Sebright, to fly onto my arm...she loves it! Chickens are a lot more intelligent than many people give them credit for....
silvi in flight (3 of 1).jpg

We have been enjoying the warm weather, while back east it's snowing! I hope spring is here to stay. I have been training Moonshine, my little Sebright, to fly onto my arm...she loves it! Chickens are a lot more intelligent than many people give them credit for....
View attachment 1307632
What an awesome picture sue!

@SueT where did you get your Sebright and how many turned out to be male? Do they coexist with larger birds like RIR?

JT
I got her at Estes Hatchery about one year ago. I picked up 4 br. leghorn sexed pullets, and just 2 bantams, the other being a d'uccle. Both banties ended up as pullets tho they were unsexed. The D'uccle is very shy and the lowest in the pecking order and doesn't stand up for herself. The Sebright stands up for herself, they are a very feisty breed, but she still gets pushed around. I have as many feeding stations as chickens, to improve chances of getting some for everyone, it's a bit of a hassle. The bigs don't hurt them they just crowd them out. The Sebright doesn't give, up, the D'uccle does. I sneak treats in for the bantams. Besides the leghorns and banties, there are 2 older hens. an SS and a BR. They are the sternest to the bantams. I don't know how it will go when the Spitzhaubens are integrated!!!!
I don't have any conclusions here. Some days I think 'my chickens all hate each other" and what was I thinking getting even more....other days, it seems pretty mellow. We were free ranging the last couple of months and that was nice, but a coyote attack ended that. Being all together in the run adds to the social tensions.
daffodils.jpg

Back
Top Bottom