calling any one from missouri

Morning everyone. I haven't stopped by for awhile and thought I drop in and say howdy.

We are getting a bit of freezing rain up here in Macon county along with a bunch o'wind. I'm afraid to go out and see what my run netting looks like this morning. But at least it's going to rebound over the weekend. Now if somebody would turn off the rain spigot I'd be thrilled.

@jthornton Your seedlings look great. What type of tomatoes are you planting? I got some seeds for Ivan Tomatoes this year. I wanted to see how they would do as it's been a challenge to grow a decent tomato here. Either too wet, too cold, too hot, too dry, sigh. The Ivan they say is an heirloom tomato that was developed for extreme changes in the weather.

I have some that I am trying to get germinated/sprouted using the wet paper towel and warm area method. I've managed to get some cucumbers sprouted and my morning check awarded me with some butternut squash sprouting along with some other tomato seeds but so far nothing from the Ivans.

No sun is really a deterrent to getting plants started. Guess I'm going to have to break out the grow light.

@jthornton Your seedlings look great. What type of tomatoes are you planting?
I planted Burpee Roma VF and Best Boy Hybrid both a determinate variety. I used seed starting mix and planted the seeds 1/2" deep. I keep water in the bottom of the bigger tray so it can wick up to the plants as needed. I just put a small 10" fan in today to shake them and make the stem get thicker and tougher. My buddy in Baton Rouge swears by it and tells me every year to do that. I have the grow light as close to the plants as possible almost.

In this photo you can see the chains I used to hang the lights and the little 10" fan I added today.
sprout-station-05.jpg

This is what they look like today getting blown around a bit.
sprout-station-06.jpg

I'm going to start some Cherokee Purple soon for the raised beds as they are indeterminate and will grow up the cattle panel arch and down the other side.

JT

We are creating a little herb garden. I put a temporary pen over it, and Speckles is in there working on removing grass and weeds....
Why Speckles and not the others? Because she is calm about being
picked up, already laid her egg today, and all the others are mean to her. Are they ever jealous.....
25ACF27D-DC89-44EF-BAEC-54DC52B15F02.jpeg

I still can't believe how well the tomatoes are doing...

16 days from planting the seeds
sprout-station-07.jpg

Two of the original seeds didn't sprout, I guess I need to look at the seeds with my microscope to make sure they are not broken or something. So on the left side you see two small plants that got planted later than the rest.

JT

Back
Top Bottom