calling any one from missouri

And while I’m posting pics. Last summer I had an idea, the kind where Hubs says ”oh no, what now”. Anyway he made it happen. Took the chickens a couple of weeks to use it, but they love it now. Lookie...

4A79C966-8C0E-427E-8DC0-43F430578B99.jpeg

I wanted to write a quick post here.

Two weeks ago one of our cattle dogs that we rescued along with her 3 brothers and 1 sister when they were 3 months old from an Amish puppy mill became critically ill.

Sid was 2 years old. The picture of health. Suddenly she was vomiting non stop so we took her to our local vet who proclaimed that she had a fungal infection, gave her a shot and sent her home with Antibiotics. That was two weeks ago today. She grew steadily worse over the weekend and on Sunday began having these horrible smelling diarrhea stools and refused all food and water. We were spooning water into her at that point and managed to find an emergency vet who had us bring her in. Sid was on a downward slide and the vet stayed with her all night giving her IVs doing blood work. Monday morning she was stable but the vet told us the only chance for her to survive was in MIZZOU's veterinary hospital. She thought she saw a foreign body in her abdomen but she didn't feel qualified as weak as Sid was to tackle the surgery. They were better equipped down there.

So my husband drove down to Columbia at warp speed with Sid in our van and they immediately went to work on her trying to figure out what she had swallowed.

It turned out to be nothing and what it was killed her. Sid had PYTHIOSIS, which is an amoebic like critter that lives in ponds and stagnant water and is beginning to be seen in Missouri. It is usually found in gulf states but is moving north. She had lesions in her small intestine, large intestine, peritonitis, infections in her pancreas and near her kidney they found two masses. The doctors were amazing. Their compassion would bring you to tears. The doctor we worked with called us and said, we can't save her. So we let her go.

PLEASE! keep your dogs out of ponds and stagnant pools of water. Don't let them drink out of water puddles.

Go to pythiosis.com and read about what this parasite can do to your dogs, cats, horses and yes, humans also.

I am still grieving for my sweet girl. She was my baby and she shared a special bond with both of us. I don't want to see anybody else go through what she did and yes, what we did.

I wanted to write a quick post here.

Two weeks ago one of our cattle dogs that we rescued along with her 3 brothers and 1 sister when they were 3 months old from an Amish puppy mill became critically ill.

Sid was 2 years old. The picture of health. Suddenly she was vomiting non stop so we took her to our local vet who proclaimed that she had a fungal infection, gave her a shot and sent her home with Antibiotics. That was two weeks ago today. She grew steadily worse over the weekend and on Sunday began having these horrible smelling diarrhea stools and refused all food and water. We were spooning water into her at that point and managed to find an emergency vet who had us bring her in. Sid was on a downward slide and the vet stayed with her all night giving her IVs doing blood work. Monday morning she was stable but the vet told us the only chance for her to survive was in MIZZOU's veterinary hospital. She thought she saw a foreign body in her abdomen but she didn't feel qualified as weak as Sid was to tackle the surgery. They were better equipped down there.

So my husband drove down to Columbia at warp speed with Sid in our van and they immediately went to work on her trying to figure out what she had swallowed.

It turned out to be nothing and what it was killed her. Sid had PYTHIOSIS, which is an amoebic like critter that lives in ponds and stagnant water and is beginning to be seen in Missouri. It is usually found in gulf states but is moving north. She had lesions in her small intestine, large intestine, peritonitis, infections in her pancreas and near her kidney they found two masses. The doctors were amazing. Their compassion would bring you to tears. The doctor we worked with called us and said, we can't save her. So we let her go.

PLEASE! keep your dogs out of ponds and stagnant pools of water. Don't let them drink out of water puddles.

Go to pythiosis.com and read about what this parasite can do to your dogs, cats, horses and yes, humans also.

I am still grieving for my sweet girl. She was my baby and she shared a special bond with both of us. I don't want to see anybody else go through what she did and yes, what we did.
:hugs I'm so sorry to hear this. Thank you for the heads up.

Thank you Shaw. We had never heard of it before and from what I'm reading many vets haven't either. The emergency vet mentioned it as a possibility but at that point was leaning more towards a foreign body and so were we. In less than 48 hours it progressed at a rapid and deadly pace.

I read that most dogs are resistant to it but dogs with weak immune systems or injuries were the most susceptible.

Thankful as of today, her 4 remaining siblings are not showing any symptoms. Nor are our two 8 year olds.

I have two ducks that I am looking for a new home for. I fully admit, I didn't do my research well enough before getting them and I feel awful. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to keep them in our city. Looking to find them a nice home. They are a bonded pair. Quackers is the white female Pekin and Nugget is the male Welsh Harlequin. Nugget is a little more people friendly, but neither of them are tamed by any means. I mostly watched them play in their duck pool or splash in the sprinkler and didn't really try petting, or anything like that. I feel bad getting rid of them, but I know it's for the best.

I'm in the St. Louis, MO area. Willing to meet within reason.

Any tips would be great!
1.jpeg
2.jpeg 3.jpeg

I have two ducks that I am looking for a new home for. I fully admit, I didn't do my research well enough before getting them and I feel awful. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to keep them in our city. Looking to find them a nice home. They are a bonded pair. Quackers is the white female Pekin and Nugget is the male Welsh Harlequin. Nugget is a little more people friendly, but neither of them are tamed by any means. I mostly watched them play in their duck pool or splash in the sprinkler and didn't really try petting, or anything like that. I feel bad getting rid of them, but I know it's for the best.

Any tips would be great!
View attachment 2673667View attachment 2673668View attachment 2673669
They are beautiful! Unfortunately, I am not up for ducks. I have enough to take care of with the dogs, chickens, rabbits and garden. I hope you find someone to take them.

Any tips would be great!
View attachment 2673667View attachment 2673668View attachment 2673669
Do you have a poultry swap in your area? Or advertise on Craigslist—-or use craigslist to find poultry swaps....
Good luck, they are very pretty ducks!

Back
Top Bottom