calling any one from missouri

We remembered! We got 2 ceiling panels up in 1 bedroom. We had hoped to get the entire ceiling in 1 room done but ran into a little bit of trouble getting the length just right. We had to trim one panel three times šŸ¤£ and the other panel twice. But they look good once we got them up.

A trick I use to get very accurate inside measurements is to use a 1x4 or similar butted up against one wall and measure from the opposite wall to the edge of the 1x4 then add the length of the 1x4. You can get within 1/32" šŸ˜Ž

JT

My sister, who knows a lot about birds, is visiting from Virginia. We had breakfast on the porch and she heard a yellow billed cuckoo, we listened to its call. She said they are very hard to see in the trees.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-billed_Cuckoo/overview

in Ozark speak those are called a ā€œrain crowā€ā€¦ or more often ā€œthe rain crowā€ā€¦

my grandad might have said something like ā€œI guess weā€™ll get some rain, I heard the rain crow while I was weeding the gardenā€¦ā€

when I was a kid I thought there was just one out there controlling the rain šŸ™‚

we have quite a few around hereā€¦ a few years back the bag worms were real bad, and you could spot the cuckoos raiding those worm nests with ease, but otherwise I usually only spot one if I really make an effort to do so

@OhZark Biddies do you know anything about those caterpillars that wrap themselves in pieces of leaves and sticks and hang suspended from the trees? There are a lot of them this year, not sure weā€™ve noticed them before....
or is this an alien invasion?

Hereā€™s a photo of one of these creatures, all wrapped up in leaves and sticks. This morning they are all attached to ends of twigs on trees, but when it gets really hot they begin lowering themselves on a strand of silk, like a spider. If they end up on the ground, they move along like a hermit crab, dragging this construction w them.
35DBC2EA-9863-457A-BE90-7868CD123C16.jpeg
There are thousands of them! The worm is inside, but sometimes we have seen them sticking their heads out. If we scare them, they pull back in, closing a leaf ā€˜doorā€™ over the opening.
Have any of you seen them? @OhZark Biddies ?

Hereā€™s a photo of one of these creatures, all wrapped up in leaves and sticks. This morning they are all attached to ends of twigs on trees, but when it gets really hot they begin lowering themselves on a strand of silk, like a spider. If they end up on the ground, they move along like a hermit crab, dragging this construction w them.
View attachment 2776284
There are thousands of them! The worm is inside, but sometimes we have seen them sticking their heads out. If we scare them, they pull back in, closing a leaf ā€˜doorā€™ over the opening.
Have any of you seen them? @OhZark Biddies ?

I did see a few of these earlier this month and was curious about them, but we didnā€™t have a lot of themā€¦

I found some information on ā€œleaf rollersā€ or ā€œleaf tierā€ caterpillars, but didnā€™t ID the exact ones we had.

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden...llars-leaf-tiers-bagworms-and-web-former.aspx

You might ask the MDC using this link. I suspect theyā€™ll be able to ID it with your picture and detailed descriptionā€¦ let us know if you hear back, Iā€™m curious what they are

https://mdc.mo.gov/contact-us

DB1782F4-EA79-4FD0-AE9D-6F7BE24FE567.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom