calling any one from missouri

Good morning all-
It's a cold day here, which is my personal least favorite kind of day. I'm sure my chickens feel the same. When I let them into the run this morning, they ran out, immediately turned around and eyed me like I was the sack of cracked corn. Before they could surround me and attack, I scattered enough corn to distract them, but it was a close one.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had experience in re-homing roosters in the Kansas City area. We're 1st time chicken owners and got several unintentionally when we got our chicks this past November. They're 11 weeks old now and I believe we may have up to 10 that'll turn out to be roos (I was expecting more of them to die while we were raising them too; but it turns out we're really good at raising chickens. We haven't lost any of them yet.) I've got a Black Copper Marans that's done everything but crow, a blue Polish that has crowed, a white Polish that has significant wattles (but otherwise is a complete wuss & very friendly), 2 EEs (lavender and cream) that are both unfriendly, have bright red combs, are aggressive towards the other chickens and have red coloring on their wings, 3 Silkies that have trailing feathers off their heads and are constantly cockfighting each other, a Rhode Island Red that is really showing a lot of signs, but isn't really showing anything conclusive and a Buff Brahma that developed a lot slower than the other one. The Silkies, the RIR & BB I'm still reserving judgment on, but if anyone in the area wants them you won't have to twist my arm very hard.

Like I said, I've raised all of these guys from chicks, so I'm more than a little reluctant to send them to the freezer, even the ones that don't like me (I mean, doing that kind of reinforces their opinion of me, don't you think?). Based on the breeds/characteristics I've described, what are my realistic chances of getting them re-homed before they really start crowing? Any suggestions as to whom I might contact? I'm on the local Backyard Chicken Facebook group and will be posting something like this there as well. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Well, it's about that time. I guess I'll go out and check on them again. Wish me luck.
Have you had any takers?

One of the things I look forward to about moving to the schoolhouse place is being able to see the sun rises and sunsets. 🥰
Over the weekend J knocked out the wall between the two bathrooms. He had investigated and figured out that was not a weight-bearing wall and didn't have to be there. That is going to be my room for all my exercise stuff and craft stuff.. so I won't have to give up having my own spare room when we move.
I'm very happy about this!
20220122_143419.jpg

One of the things I look forward to about moving to the schoolhouse place is being able to see the sun rises and sunsets. 🥰
Over the weekend J knocked out the wall between the two bathrooms. He had investigated and figured out that was not a weight-bearing wall and didn't have to be there. That is going to be my room for all my exercise stuff and craft stuff.. so I won't have to give up having my own spare room when we move.
I'm very happy about this!
View attachment 2970918
I was wondering how the schoolhouse project was going....

I was wondering how the schoolhouse project was going....
Eh..so so.
We bought one window! 🤣
And got a bunch of the other ones covered up with tin right now so at least we can start blocking some of the weather and critters from coming in and out of there while we try to do more work on the inside. He got some of the concrete Jack hammered out where the plumbing needs to go.

7C711431-A5E7-4F1A-B321-02405871C174.jpeg

Most of my little chicks roosting down low. 4 or 5 of them were roosting on the slightly higher permanent low roost with a couple of the grown up girls.
826604AC-C065-4CB9-A588-3F50219BB8C0.jpeg

The fluffy butts at the top of the picture are hens on the highest roost. The 2 bigger girls on the bottom in the foreground are also adult hens. The 4 or 5 in the back corner are some of the juveniles that braved space on the permanent lower roost.
They did that for 2 or 3 days. Now all 16 of the youngsters roost together on the temporary low roost.

Back
Top Bottom