calling any one from missouri

I Love going to Jacobs cave! Its a lot of fun and the people there are great. There is quite a bit of "junk", cool junk and some flea market stuff but lots of animals and things for animals.

I'm north of Springfield and it takes us over an hour but it's a nice drive. You can camp there all weekend to sell and it's pretty primitive. I'm close enough if I ever had enough birds to take to sell I'd just pick a day and go. Every day there is a good day.

frow.gif
Since I'm here
frow.gif
, I'm LOOKING for some hens or pullets. I want 2 bantam (cochins or silkies) and 2 large fowl (cochins) hens or pullets to be broodies to hatch eggs for me. I don't plan to breed them at all but I do want some good quality hens or pullets and I'd like them in some pretty colors. Even if all they do is set around, they should at least do it in style
love.gif

I would consider another breed if they are well known to be really broody, at least as much as the cochins or silkies. I don't mind an hour or so drive but would like to find some at least fairly close to home. I just don't know who the breeders are for these guys in my area. Post here or PM me with a phone number and I'll give you a call, let me know the best time of day to call too.

Thanks!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
well I do have some buff orpingtons. They are not pullets, they are hens and I really don't know the age because they were given to me. Would be looking to sell a couple of them if you are interested. They are probably hatchery stock but look to be good birds. They have quit laying for the fall, before they were given to me and they still give me an occasional egg right now. They are also know to go brood a lot. I haven't had these birds more than a couple months but if you are interested let me know and I can see what we can do. I am less than an hour from you. I want to stress I have no idea the age of these birds. She didn't know when she gave them to me. I am in Lebanon.

Quote:
lets see, pair of capuchin's, indian fantails, show kings, show racers, giant homers, giant runts, modenas, and some ferals. yep thats all of them for now.

kinda fluctuates up and down, depending on what i find. and what i decide i dont want anymore.

I haven't found enough info on Orpingtons so I think I'll pass. When I've asked around, it's been an overwhelming "silkies and cochins" for broody hens. One person did add that game birds were too and I used to have some fantastically broody game type hens so I might consider them too. They're sort of flighty but taking the eggs to finish hatching inside, she wouldn't get a chance to teach the chicks to be that way. I know there are a lot of Silkie breeders in the area and Cochin. Some of them may just not have anything left by now till spring so I'm in no hurry, I'll just keep looking around. I put an ad on craiglist too.

Sorry to hear that I know buff orpingtons are good broody birds. If you were to call cackle hatchery they would tell you the same thing. They are the ones that told me. Said they are multi purpose birds. They lay eggs well, are good meat birds, and make good mommas.

If your looking for broody hens, then I would probabely go with Faverolles (Probabely mispelled that one) then that is what I would probabely go with! I have 2 sweet birds and I think that if you put 1 egg and 2 golf balls that would try to sit on them lol Probabely gonna let them have their chance in the spring unless I change my mind and decide to incubate some

Ernie

BTW where and what is Jacobs cave I am assuming it is in Our fair state but have never heard of It! Im south of KC in Harrisonville

Hey folks, I am looking for someone in the West Plains area who might be interested in swapping some vacation care time. We are going out of town in a couple of weeks and I need someone to open the coop and lock it up at night, and also fill the water if needed. I'll return the favor in the future. We are leaving December 3, returning December 7. Coop is on an automatic light, feeder lasts about 5 days while free ranging, so water in the morning every 2 or 3 days, plus lock up at night is all they need. I am right near the 63 & 17 junction.

So excited. Finally connected with the lady that has bantam phoenix eggs. She is mailing them Monday. She has a variety of colors so its like Christmas day, not knowing what we will get. Crossing my fingers and toes that we have a good hatch rate. This will be the first time I have ordered eggs through the mail.

My meat birds are at almost 5 pounds. A week and a half to go. I am so ready to get rid of them. They are a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom