calling any one from missouri

Quote:
It looks like you could have a pair there.
Now I know that one of the chicks I bought at Orscheln is a porcelain d'uccle. I wasn't sure what it was but thought it was cute.

Anybody near me want a porcelain d'uccle chick that is about 2-3 weeks old? LOL

Well I posted my D'Uccle roosters on the auction site here. I guess we will see. I have had no hits on Craig's list. Ugh!

Been putting wd40 on new chicken feet, they are looking better. What a beautiful pair of birds they are. I particularly like the naked neck rooster. He is very laid back. Never thought I would like them.

I took out my electricity(drop cord) because I thought the threat of freezing was over and the days were getting longer. My chickens did not like that. Egg production has dropped and feathers are everywhere. Oops.

Missy

I live in Missouri by Springfield.
smile.png

hmm.png
Does anyone else sell their birds at Mo swaps? I took a few birds to Fruitland this morning and
between other bad experiences and today, I'm thinking that I will only advertise or sell online in
the future. I realize that with the economy like it is, people are really watching every dollar, but
to expect pretty, healthy birds for a few bucks just isn't gonna happen! I've seen some sad looking
stock at swaps, and they usually sell very cheap. But I was never surprised at higher prices for
True- to- standard birds because I know what it takes to raise them!
People wanted the best year old layers that I took for no more than $6-7. Usually I will compromise on
price a little but I just wasn't willing to part with them for less than $10-12. Im glad I didn't
bother packing up my more pricey cochins!
If they would purchase Chicks from the feed store for $3, then keep track of their costs
fir the next yr, maybe they would understand? And that's just talking Hatchery quality, not
top lines or show quality!
I've seen ppl pass off mixed breeds as pure or the total wrong breed, and also birds that were
obviously not healthy.
What's been your experience at swaps?

yep you Had a "normal" small swap experience.

i do hit some of the smaller swaps, but mostly do the bigger ones. the little farm store swaps usually dont have anything but farm birds, and good show birds usually dont do very good at them. i have hit 5-6 of the little swaps this year with the same results, people arent looking for nice birds, they want layers or meat birds.

fordland, turkey creek, and grandby are the ones that come to mind i have done good at. the others i havent done anything but find pigeons or birds to trade for.

i dont know how well southwest city swap is gonna be tomorrow being the first one and with weather coming in. i have done good at the auction, sometimes buying, sometimes selling.

another thing is the auction prices the last few years. ridiculous is all i can say. i dont understand why people will not pay 10-15 bucks for a nice healthy bird at a swap, but will pay 20 or more at an auction for a bird they cant even realy see.

Hi I'm a part time Kansan and a part time Missourian.Dual Citizenship! But I have a University of Texas bumper sticker,go figure.I hang out in Warrensburg.

Oh I hear you on the auction thing. And personally I'd d rather spend a little more for healthy chickens
and from the actual breeder. I also made ppl aware that my birds were NPIP tested and they usually
don’t care or know what that is lol so Idk?!
I mean I grew up old school with generational farmers who never had a show
bird in their life. Like you said they just wanted good layers or chicken ' N noodles :)
But they did understand that you can't get something for nothing & wanted them healthy!
Heck I like Barnyard chickens too, but pure breeds, especially heritage & rare, will always be popular, and cost more.
Thanks for listing the other swaps, I'm definitely going to see how far they are from me.

davony's chicks :

Quote:
Now I know that one of the chicks I bought at Orscheln is a porcelain d'uccle. I wasn't sure what it was but thought it was cute.

Can you tell if it's a boy or girl yet?​

davony's chicks :

Quote:

where are you located at?​

Quote:

Can you tell if it's a boy or girl yet?

By the way it acts I think it is a boy. Not sure yet. My neighbor thinks I should just keep him/her but I want just bantam cochins.
I shouldn't have bought it but it was too cute and I wanted to see what it grew up to be.
smile.png

I am Just north of Moberly which is north of Columbia. I would be willing to take the little guy as far as Columbia for a good home.
He/She is free to a good home. Just feed store chick but cute, has nice feathering on his feet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom