calling any one from missouri

SuziQ..hi there. I know how it is to be nervous when hatching! It sounds like you have done everything right. It takes some much longer to pop out than others. I've had Chicks hatch less than an hr after pipping, and others took up to a day later! I have found though that if they don't hatch on their own, there's usually a reason. Its usually best to not help.
Good luck!

Quote:
I try to keep a small travel size spray bottle in the incubator so the water stays warm and spray them to keep the membrane moist. I have carefully peeled that membrane back before with success too but be very careful if you see any blood stop. I have in the past had them get "shrink wrapped" from drying out so just keep it moist. You are usually best to not intervene by peeling the membrane back.

I hope this helps.

Michigan Transplant --- I can't help ya ...but I'll keep my
fl.gif
let us know how things go

Muddy horse- I hope your husband makes it home safely before Easter!

Thankfully that storm didn't come anywhere close to us! I was watching TV when they were broadcasting live storm coverage and it was pretty scary for a lot of people.

Missy- Sorry to hear about your babies. I didn't know that other hens would do that! I have one hen setting on some eggs now and they will hatch while I am out of town. I hope my neighbor catches them in time, he is taking care of my animals while I am gone.

I am done with the RAIN!!!! It is a muddy mess at then chicken houses! I was hoping to get the rest of my garden planted before I left town but it doesn't look like that will happen!

Quote:
No I havent found anything. Weird!

I found it! But they sold them yesterday!
sad.png

I'm really sorry... Put a wanted ad on Craigslist. I have a lot of luck doing that myself. Khakis are great but they are too messy for my dinky yard.

Ok guys,

I need help. As fate would have it, I have almost 300 chicks varying ages and have become unemployed as well as my spouse unemployed. So, I HAVE to sell some. They are eating about bag of feed every 3 days... YIKES! LOL

So, where can I take them? Holden has an auction but was told they aren't friendly to new comers and chicks tend to sell for $0.50 a piece. Too cheap for me right now. Might get there though.

I live in the Kansas City area and am NOT NPIP so going over to KS isn't an option.

I appreciate any advice you may have!

Dave

Your best bet to get decent money for them is probably you selling them on craigslist. Other then that most auctions are going to have several chicks being sold at them now so the price will be cheap. I think there is a sale in Kingsville, and probably several others in that area. Check the Mo swap and auction thread in the swaps and shows section and see what is closest to you.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Don't worry about it until 2pm tomorrow. If that chick isn't out by 24 hrs after pip, intervene if you must. I've had quite a few 'sticky chicks' as a result of not being able to watch the bator. The travel water spritzer spray is a good idea to 'mist it' if you feel the chick is stuck.

Missy, sorry to hear about your chicks. I pretty much had the same problem when I put in my 8 week old barred rock and red pullets in with my speckled sussexes in their shed. Within 24 hrs half of the sussexes had the feathers picked off their backs. Now the heavy breeds are hanging out in my rabbit hutch.

Another tidbit of info.

I asked to become NPIP recently and was told there was a long waiting period before they could get out to see me. She told me they had and outbreak. I was curious what that outbreak was and so I googled and found the following news.

Avian Flu found in Springfield, MO area.

http://www.kansasagland.com/index.p...ltry-farm&catid=42:regional-ag-news&Itemid=84

They will clean out your entire flock if you have this so y'all be very careful going to auctions and stuff. Hope they contain this and pray it hasn't traveled up here!!!!

Back
Top Bottom