calling any one from missouri

I live in Beaufort. I have 34 bantams and a pair of standard speckled sussex. This is all rural - farmland and wooded. No ordinances - all the farmers that have 100's of acres around us would be out of business.

The meeting ended up just shy of a joke. Half of the committee thought we were there to debate the pro's and con's of backyard hens, so an ordinance was never drafted. The only agreement that could be reached was to draft a petition to see if drafting an ordinance is worth the cities time.

Quote:
barnie.gif

Argh. Such is the way of city government sometimes, I suppose, but still. Yuck.

On the other hand, the up-shot is that you've at least got something of a path to getting the thing drafted. Petition -> return to council - > discuss - > ordinance?

I'm guessing you're already in touch with folks from other cities who've done this, but if you're looking for more resources, you might get in touch with the Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture. I think they've got folks who were active in making our ordinance a reality, and they could have some good tips for navigating city council shenanigans.

I personally win either way, I've got a privacy fence, only want 3 birds, and have already talked to my neighbors. But, my wife wanted me to make it legal if I could.

Back
Top Bottom